Found Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
FoundSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Found Skink

Postby FoundSkink » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:23 pm

So, Monday Nov 11th, I found this guy outside my house in Maryland. It was luckily in the mid 60's. The next day it was in the 20's for the low. Anyway, I knew right away it was a blue tongue skink. However I have no idea what sub species, looks like a northern or maybe an irian jaya?

It appeared that either a large bird or animal got ahold of it, it has puncture marks and lacerations on its face and tail. Took it the vet, they cleaned out the wounds, they gave me some mild pain meds and an antibiotic for the wounds. $220 later...

I have been a long time reptile owner, our last beardie just past away in August at 16.5 years old. I hadn't done anything with the dragon enclosure yet, so I cleaned it out put down some coco fiber beading for now and a new hide and humid hide for it.

I haven't been able to get it to eat yet, I have been putting fresh water in there and a table spoon of good wet dog food and some veggies every day. But its November and I don't know how long it was outside.

Size wise it looks healthy, about 21-22 inches and 469 grams.

It seems pretty docile, doesn't mind being held, I was able to get it to lick the medication out of the syringe.

So we are discussing now if we are going to keep it or not. I am trying to figure out what type of BTS this is so at least in the mean time I have the right enclosure set up going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Found Skink

Postby mb606587 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:02 am

It's an Irian Jaya skink. Ideally humidity in the 60%-80% range. It looks to be well fed so not a big deal that it hasn't eaten yet. Often times they won't eat when in pain or stressed but I'm sure it will in time. I commend you for taking the time and spending the money to get this poor guy treated.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:36 am

Hope you adopt him or find a reptile rescuer who can care for him and eventually rehome him.

Likely he's either been dumped by some jerk who couldn't give a toss about his chance of serving
or
he's escaped and his keeper is looking for him but likely thinks he's dead now after the freezing condition.

Keep an eye on it's penetration wounds for infection , and I'd suggest getting the local reptile vet to take swabs of any puss or exudate weeping from the injures to determine the most effective antibiotic to administer to give him the best chance of recovering and surviving.
JaiPPR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JaiPPR » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 am

What's your plan? You could also consider keeping him yourself. It wouldnt be a terrible idea to maybe put up some posters around or maybe putting a Facebook post up asking if anyone had lost a skink.
FoundSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby FoundSkink » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:18 am

We are still discussing weather we are keeping it or not. But in the mean time have been asking around if anyone has lost it and posted it up around our area.

I will switch out the bedding for something more moisture friendly today. I have a humid hide in there with some moist sphagnum moss in a plastic shoe box.
FoundSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby FoundSkink » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:50 pm

mb606587 wrote:It's an Irian Jaya skink. Ideally humidity in the 60%-80% range. It looks to be well fed so not a big deal that it hasn't eaten yet. Often times they won't eat when in pain or stressed but I'm sure it will in time. I commend you for taking the time and spending the money to get this poor guy treated.

Can I ask what makes you think its an Irain Jaya? Not questioning you, just trying to learn.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Awe bless you for saving him and taking the time and money to save him. Definitely an IJ and hopefully you decide you have a new pet ;-)
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm

The banding and markings on the neck indicate it's an Indonesian species. The banding is a bit thicker than what you see with most Meraukes, however not all. However, the absence of a thin vertical stripe running parallel to the body on the nape of the neck as found in nearly all Meraukes, along with the thicker brown banding confirm it as Irian Jaya. On the index page, there is a section that goes in depth describing some of the visual differences amongst species of BTS.
FoundSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby FoundSkink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:58 am

mb606587 wrote:The banding and markings on the neck indicate it's an Indonesian species. The banding is a bit thicker than what you see with most Meraukes, however not all. However, the absence of a thin vertical stripe running parallel to the body on the nape of the neck as found in nearly all Meraukes, along with the thicker brown banding confirm it as Irian Jaya. On the index page, there is a section that goes in depth describing some of the visual differences amongst species of BTS.

Thank you!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:09 am

Why on earth don't things like that wander into my backyard?? Good luck, and if you are indeed a reptile keeper why not keep him if the owner can't be found? Not everyone is on social media (I am not, and never will be) so maybe post an ad on your local Craigslist to try and find owner. Just make sure they bring pictures, and maybe...just forget all that and keep him. No responsible owner would let this happen. And I seriously doubt someone turned it loose purposely as they are not cheap. The pet shop would have gladly taken it back if no longer wanted.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”