Western Bluetongues

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
C.Cannon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Western Bluetongues

Postby C.Cannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Here are a few pictures of my western pair. I'm cooling them now and am really hoping they breed this spring. Right now I've been able to get them to the low 50s and have a corner of a room that I will put them in soon that reaches the mid-upper 40s.

I've been really successful breeding cold weather Australian pythons like Bredls so I'm hoping I'll have babies from these one day.

-Casey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Western Bluetongues

Postby mb606587 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am

Good luck. Beautiful skinks you have there.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:42 am

Yes they are, and I'm glad to see more people working with this very attractive species. I was offered some last year but passed due to lack of sufficient space, but I did do some reading for possible future projects. They seem to have a marked preference for large insects over the standard BTS fare. What do yours like?
C.Cannon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby C.Cannon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:14 pm

They seem to prefer eating smaller meals more often. My easterns seem content eating a couple of spoonfuls of wet dog food every week but the westerns seem to prefer a few bites of food every couple of days. They love shrimp, mussels, mice and strawberries. I was told by Don Patterson that their favorite food is dubia but they love them so much they can get stuck on eating nothing but them.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”