Licking food

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Licking food

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:07 am

Hi, bit of an odd one... just wondering how everyone else’s skink eats? I’ve noticed lately that Ventress doesn’t ever take a good big bite of his food - he just licks it - he’s chubby as ever so must be getting enough of it down him eventually I just find it really odd and wondered if it was normal or if anyone has any tips to get him to start eating properly?
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Re: Licking food

Postby Alioop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 am

I would often observe my guys alternating between licks and big bites, so licking their food is definitely normal, especially if what you're feeding is a bit more liquid than solid. They've got extremely strong jaws, so don't worry about making their food into a "smoothie" consistency. My adult bts could all crush big cockroaches and whole eggs.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 am

Alioop wrote:I would often observe my guys alternating between licks and big bites, so licking their food is definitely normal, especially if what you're feeding is a bit more liquid than solid. They've got extremely strong jaws, so don't worry about making their food into a "smoothie" consistency. My adult bts could all crush big cockroaches and whole eggs.

Thanks for this, I tend to blend it so he doesn’t avoid stuff he doesn’t like, but then it’s in quite a solid ... mound of it so he could easily bite chunks out of it, he just doesn’t seem to ever want to. Il maybe boil him an egg see if he battles that with a bit more vigour!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:17 pm

My guys usually bite their food, but I have seen licks too. I bet the hard boiled egg will be a huge hit. Mine love eggs :-)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”