Skink for vertical enclosure

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Dratth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink for vertical enclosure

Postby Dratth » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:49 am

Hi, i have one tropical bioactive enclosure (29g or 45x45x60 or 1,5x1,5x2) ready more than 3 months now. Is there some skink species for this type of setup? Originally i was planning to have there day gecko but i would like to have something more tamable. I mean real tamable so they can climb on your hand for example and interact with you, not just tolerate handling after some time of chase in enclosure. In the past i kept chameleon, right now i have crested gecko and BTS. I am not saying that gecko can't be tamed, but i dont know...if you look to the eyes of the BTS, you can see that intelligence if you know what i mean. If you look to eyes of crestie for example, i can't tell wether he will sit there or just run/jump like crazy next second. I know maybe anole would be best for that enclosure but there is no CBB here and i dont want WC animal this small (i can not imagine deworming something so small).
From what i have read, there is more skink species like BTS with personalities and ability to be tamed like pink tongue, schneiders, peters banded etc. but i can't find anything available in pet trade for this kind of enclosure (more humid/tropical and smaller in size).
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Skink for vertical enclosure

Postby mb606587 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Crocodile skinks are widely available captive bred, and while not totally arboreal, they will climb. They are small enough to thrive in that size enclosure. The issue with them is they are more of a visual pet and don't particularly enjoy being handled. They also tend to hide a lot. Abronia graminea, frequently referred to as the Mexican Alligator Lizard could also be an option, although not a species of skink. Many of the smaller skinks you will unfortunately not find captive bred. If you ask me, the ultimate arboreal skink is easily Corucia zebrata, the Monkey skink, followed by the Pink Tongue Skink. Neither of those would be appropriate for that size enclosure however.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 pm

How about a small monitor lizard ?

If you like intelligence in a pet lizard, they have it .
Dratth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dratth » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 am

Thanks for advice guys.
I would like to have abronia but from what i have read, they need bigger enclosure or? Other than that abronia graminea is my dream reptile and same apply for monitors :).
I definitely want to have monitor too, but smallest from what i know is ackies or dwarf ackies? They need approx. 70g horizontal enclosure or?
If there is some monitor for this type of enclosure or i can put there one abronia i MUST have them :).

In the past i realy want crocodile skinks but as you say - they not enjoy being handled and hide, for that i have my crestie :).
And for monkey skink - over my budget even if i could find someone here who breed them here :wink:

I am pretty limited with space (so no pink tongue for me), because i have one "terrarium wall" which cost me considerable effort with my wife so i have this setup ready and in the future i can have another 90x45x45 and 30x30x45 enclosures, but i dont think that woud be sooner than 1year from now :D .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:43 am

mangrove monitor (these spend some time up and about , but they also spend a lot of time down in the water having a good ol' swim. and martens water monitor (probably too big for your tank).

angle headed dragon
boyds forest dragon ( very hard to keep , but very impressive and prehistoric looking )
emerald tree monitor
Tree Skink (Ergernia striolata)
Weasel Skink (Saproscincus mustelinus)
Wall Skink (Cryptoblepharus virgatus)
Robust striped skink (Ctenotus robustus)
Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii) , I have had these for years and they are great climbers and use all the bits of bark and branches to climb and explore and are really charming and intelligent and do tame up very nicely ( they can be kept in small groups , I have two adult females housed together who sleep together.

These are very likely very hard to find in your country (as captively bred specimens).
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:12 am

While your enclosure is on the smaller side for sure, you can most likely house a single Abronia in there. Although being that captive breeding efforts are this species only hope for survival and your apparent affinity for them, I'd recommending somehow getting a slightly larger enclosure in the future and maintaining a pair.
Dratth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dratth » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:47 am

Mangrove monitors seems like they not fit in my smaller enclosure for sure :D
Emerald tree monitor is even more expensive than monkey tailed skink but maybe when i retire or when i have spare room and money i try to work with them. I just love green lizards :) .
Emerald tree skink is very adorable but i can't find them here for some time now (i am looking for them more than year now) :(.
Other lizards from your list kingofnobbys would be very hard to find, i cant find them even on "reptile eshops". But atleast i know more skink species out there when i come across them in future :thumbs:

mb606587 - if i can find pair of them here for reasonable price i can definitely switch my enclosure placements so they can have 90x45x60 enclosure. Another problem can be heat waves here in summer - temperature in my apartment can reach 88F (31C) and with lights on 90-92F (32-33C).

Thank you guys for inspiration

Return to “Other Skink Species”