Insect-based protein options

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lucca
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Insect-based protein options

Postby Lucca » Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm

I know that canned dog food is commonly used as the main protein source for skinks, however, I'm personally trying to reduce the amount of factory-farmed mammal and bird meat I purchase, mainly for environmental reasons. So while I'm sure that dog food is perfectly good for skinks nutritionally, are insect-based foods like Repashy Bluey Buffet and Grub Pie also just as good for skinks? There are so many garbage pet products out there, I just want to make sure that they're fine, and that skinks will actually eat them.

Also, are nightcrawlers and mealworms good for them? I've said that I don't want to deal with live food before, but that mostly applies to hard-shelled insects like crickets and roaches. Worms seem easier to deal with.

If dog food is a must, it's not a deal-breaker. I just want to know my options. (And yeah, I know there are some people who are against dog food entirely, anyway.)
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Insect-based protein options

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Products like Repashy have not been on the market for very long. We don't really know how our skinks will respond long term if fed on predominately that diet. Night crawlers are solid options, especially when gut loaded. Meal worms are not the best for them due to the hard chitin shell. Silk worms, earthworms, super worms, and horn worms will make better options.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 pm

The important criteria in any protein source are
>> good Ca/P , ideally better than Ca/P = 2
>> high protein
>> moisture content
>> low fat , bare in mind the lizard's diet needs some fat included as this is an energy source and many/most vitamins and minerals are only taken up bound with lipids (fats) in the bloodstream
>> avoid insects with very hard to digest exoskeletons ( superworms are OK as a treat, mealworms only as very rare treats), crickets, snails, roaches, locusts are OK
>> excellent feeders are snails, silkworms, BSFL, hornworms (USA).

I know several people who live in NZ who can't easily source live insects at reasonable prices , and have reared skinks and dragons on Repashi GrubPie as their staple protein source. So far so good.

Repashi have a mix called Bluey Buffet , can't get this product here in Australia so cant comment on it.

Eggs are a good protein source , my BTs love hardboiled egg whites and yokes (I slice it up for them) , they are also partial to boiled lean chicken mince , I give this occasionally.
Raw eggs are an option too , I've not given these (messy !!! and my skinks don't get outside) , I have given an occasional raw chicken egg my resident wild eastern bluetongue , who lives under my house , and she loves them and has no problem crushing the whole shell and there is nothing left when she's finished.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 am

Repashy is ok as a supplement once in a while but I would not use it as a staple. It's like eating Jell-o every day. I have seen skinks raised on it exclusively and not liking the results. I do not like commercial insects as they are also mass produced. I raise all my own. I know what they are eating, therefor I know what my reptiles are eating. I would not ban dog food as a staple, although there are other options I have seen better health and growth using it. This is from my own observations as a keeper and breeder. Dog food, bugs and vegetables. It works.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”