How often can I handle my tamed and comfortable bluey?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: How often can I handle my tamed and comfortable bluey?

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:22 am

Male Northerns (Which yours obviously is) do not eat much at all during the winter if anything when adults. Younger ones (a year or less) may still eat but they have no interest in daily food. It is coming into breeding season for them, and my males do not eat at all during this period. And the huffing is just what they do. I have seven and eight year olds who will do it when annoyed. It's just their thing, and they will continue to from time to time. Pay no regard if you need to pick him up, he will calm down as soon as he doesn't feel threatened or annoyed anymore.
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:13 am

Haha okay :) thanks again guys! You’ve all been so helpful!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 am

McBoredFace wrote:Okay, I’ll remove the mat. But yes I have his basking bulb, uvb, and for night time if it’s too cold I have a red bulb but we don’t use it much cause the temp is usually fine.

As for the huffing, *darn so he’s a little *prissy pants then who nearly tolerates me?? After all I do for that little baby! I mean I basically spoon feed him! And get him the best of food since he’s super picky! And he huffs! What a drama king!
(Totally being sarcastic and silly by the way, I don’t really feel this way about my lovely little shmoopie lol)

Okay I do have another question by the way. He is very picky but do they not eat during the winter? Because when I first got him he ate everyday. Then it started getting cold and it was like every other day. Now he hasn’t eaten in a like a week... he’ll take a little bite cause I shove the food by his face until he licks it cause then he’ll realize he likes it and eat but he’s just taking a bite and walking away. I’ve tried different flavors and brands of the grain free natural dog foods but he’s just not hungry. When he goes to the bathroom it’s just a little white pee and 2 biiiiig balls of his sperm plugs! Way bigger than they used to be ... gross lol but no poop. Is this a problem or is this normal for the winter?

Those red coloured (infrared) globes that give off a visible glow are not suitable, if your skink needs nighttime heat , best to supply this via a ceramic heat emitting globe (mushroom shaped globes that don't give off visible light).
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:Those red coloured (infrared) globes that give off a visible glow are not suitable, if your skink needs nighttime heat , best to supply this via a ceramic heat emitting globe (mushroom shaped globes that don't give off visible light).

Okay, yeah his heat bulb just died this morning so I switched it out with one of those ceramic ones I had until I get to the store for a new bulb. They keep dying on me like every couple of months! Aren’t these bulbs supposed to last like 4-6 months? Am I doing something wrong? I’ve bought different brands people have told me to get and they still die -___-“
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Could be your fixture? Or you could try Mercury vapor bulbs, they're expensive but I've had them last two years.
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 am

Okay I’ll definitely try those. Thank you!

I hope this thread isn’t dead yet cause I figured instead of making new threads every time I have a question I could just ask here.

Last night I took him out and he was squirming through my hands and my finger pressed on his lower belly and I heard like a fart sound from him. Think he farted too cause he was getting frustrated with me since he was about to shed lol but anyway maybe it’s just a coincidence but he’s been like sluggish ever since. Maybe he’s just tired I’m not sure. And I know it’s probably nothing but I care so much about him and I would hate myself if I let anything happen to him, especially over something as small as hearing a fart sound after accidentally pressing too hard on his lower belly. So is everything alright? I didn’t like rupture his stomach right?! I mean he ate a really nice big portion of his favorite wet dog food just a moment ago. Which is odd for him because lately he’s barely been eating(probably because of the shedding thing though)

Also is there a way to maybe change the name of my thread so others see it’s other questions rather than the topic I started with?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I think your skink will be just fine. Never heard of anybody squeezing so hard they ruptured the stomach and is good that he's still eating. In the future, create different threads for different questions, this way people with similar issues can easily search and find a specific and brief thread for advice.
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:25 am

Sorry for the very late reply but yeah he ended up being fine. And thank you a ton.
I’ll make sure to make a new thread for each question. I just figured I had so many questions I didn’t want to have all these threads but it makes sense to have them Incase other people need an answer to the same question. Thank you :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”