Is this a Kei Island?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Is this a Kei Island?

Postby mb606587 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:18 am

Lbradford32 wrote:I’m assuming they are rare considering I can’t find any care info or much about them

As far as BTS, they are not super common. They used to be highly sought and commanded very high price tags. I'd treat the care similar to that of a classic Indonesian or a Merauke. Here is the caresheet linked.
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Efferalgan wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:the fact that you can see where the animal will turn green and red

I have a young keyensis that looks like the picture, would you care to explain how to determine what are the areas that will turn green and red?

The dark redish brown areas in the bands will likely turn red, and the the lighter greenish brown bands will likely turn green.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Lbradford32
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lbradford32 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Dink is getting big, pretty certain he’s a kei Island now, gonna be a beautiful skink
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 am

Lbradford32 wrote:Not sure on age haven’t been able to get into contact with the breeder since purchase, have tried asking though. Definitely young though, I’ve had it about a month and a half

Being uncontactable once they have your money is a pretty good sign that you've been had …. especially if you paid a premium prices for a skink on their say so only and they misrepresented it's species and origins to you (on purpose).

Did they ever provide you photos of the parents ? I'm assuming you bought this skink at a show or online and never actually saw the "breeder's" "facilities by physically visiting and viewing the parents and it's siblings.
Lbradford32
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lbradford32 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:06 am

I only paid $150 so not even close to a premium price, I bought it online yes. I’ve had it for 2 months now and is eating well, perfect sheds, and growing like crazy. So I honestly have no complaints. Although I was curious if sold the type I was told it was
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Still looks IJ to me, but there are so many variations these days of Indos and hybridization of locales who knows. Regardless, it's a beauty and I'd buy those all day for a buck fifty.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”