Diarrhea Concerns!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
marcikip
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Diarrhea Concerns!

Postby marcikip » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Hey, guys! First time posting, I have about a 7-month-old northern blue tongue who had diarrhea twice instead of her regular poop. I've read some things online about how it might be because of the food I've been using is too liquidy, which I suspect could be true because I switched a few days ago. I gave her only solid foods today to see how it goes. I couldn't find a lot about this online, but is diarrhea something I should be super concerned about? Thanks!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Diarrhea Concerns!

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:50 am

Hi, and welcome! First question, what exactly are you feeding and when? Occasional runny poop is not a concern, as they can have an 'off' day once in a while. If it persists I'd seek veterinary assistance.
At times if they eat too late and their heat goes off soon after it can cause digestion issues. How are your temps?
If you can post a picture of your skink and setup. I'm thinking it's not something to be worried about yet but anything out of the ordinary is worth looking into.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Ditto to the splashy07 post. If it persists it could also be parasites. I would have a fecal checked.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Internal parasites typically aren't going to be an issue for Northern Blue Tongue Skinks as they are guaranteed to be captive born and bred everywhere outside of Australia. One of the main reasons why they are highly recommended. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless this ends up being a long term problem.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Please don't take my post wrong and I completely agree with you mb606587, however they can still get parasites. Most get them if you feed live insects. Some can just be carriers and not even show they have them until they get sick with something else. My own Northern who came from a very well known breeder (I was the second owner-I don't know the exact care level the previous owner did). She also had proof of the breeder/etc (well known breeder). He had parasites. So again I am not trying to be agrumentive I am just saying it could be a possibility.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:39 pm

You are right about the feeders. I most often hear stories like that involving crickets. Although most feeders are safe, you do from time to time hear stories like yours. Typically its usually not an issue but as you have pointed out with evidence, it can definitely be a possibility if the diarrhea persists. Thanks for sharing that Janella!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Like I said...there is always a possibility. Hopefully it is just food related in this case.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 am

One of the many reasons I breed all my own feeders. "Dirty" bugs can carry a myriad of pathogens.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”