Do they make random sounds?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Do they make random sounds?

Postby Angcious » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 am

The other night, all the cage lights were out, my 2 BTS were in their houses (where they usually sleep for the night). My son and I were doing something in the room and all of a sudden he turned to where the cages were because he said he heard one of my guys make a noise. The closest he could get to explaining what he heard was like a quick yawn or moan. I am very hard of hearing so I didn't hear it.
Turned on the cage lights, my youngest was sound asleep in his house but my older had come out and was in the middle of the cage looking at us and yawning. I know he heard us and figured he'd come out to see if there was a chance he'd be able to get more free time lol.
Anyway we turned out the lights again, stood closer to the cages and froze, hoping my son would get to hear the noise again and we would at least pinpoint that it really was one of them because I had a hard time believing it. But no luck.
I once heard a quick "aaaah" (similar to a lamb but deeper and raspier sounding than I expected) when my older got his foot caught in something a long time ago but that was the only sound I ever heard them make before. Can they really make random sounds like that? Or could it have been a louder yawn? Now I'm so curious and have been wondering if they make more sounds every once in a while that I never even hear!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Do they make random sounds?

Postby mb606587 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 pm

I personally have never heard my skinks make any noises like that but I have heard other people making the same claims as you are so I wouldn't quite rule it out. The noises I most commonly hear are occasional sneezing and huffing when agitated. A little side note, Crocodile skinks from Indonesia, are noted for being one of the few species of reptile that can vocalize, (Tokay geckos being another). I almost dropped mine the first time I ever heard him start squeaking loudly.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:17 pm

I've got an Eastern that passes gas quite loudly... hahahah
His name is Gogootz but I nicknamed him Lord Whistlepoop…

Sorry, just had to..
Never heard any of them vocalize though, possibly they are and I just don't hear it with
normal household ambient noises. I couldn't rule it out either. Had more than one type of
gecko make noise, the tokay being the loudest of course. Interesting about the crock skink,
never picked one up so if I ever do thanks for the heads up!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Yes , they do occasionally vocalise.

I have heard BTs "hiss" , but never my two.

I have heard my water skinks make very soft barking sounds when they are really enjoying something (food, playtime) and squeek when given a needle or forced to take a nasty tasting oral medicine.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Mine whistles, and I'm not really sure what to make of it.
He does it mostly when exploring my room, or when he wants out
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Yeshika wrote:Mine whistles, and I'm not really sure what to make of it.
He does it mostly when exploring my room, or when he wants out

Ventress does this aswell, it’s when he’s investigating things it seems
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 pm

I think I've heard the BTS whistle , but not recently , mostly when my two easterns were younger. My water skinks have been more vocal in the main (very expressive little guys).
Raven_Vivi
Mad Apothecary
Mad Apothecary

Postby Raven_Vivi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:52 pm

I heard mine make a snore sound once.
That's about it :lol:
I am the crazy lady~ ^_^

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho
tonygz88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tonygz88 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Earlier today I got a little to close to the food dish and my girl barked at me similar to what my red eye crocodile skink does. When I backed away she started eating again. Food aggressive I guess.
BTW this is my first post. Love the forum everyone!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Welcome. Haha sounds like he takes his feedings seriously. :lol:
ascerny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ascerny » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 am

Gurumarra (northern) is a noisy one for me. He squeeks, huffs occasionally if I disturb his nap to change his waterbowl and makes a loud noise between a squeak and a huff (which is adorable) when I stop him from exploring where he wants to go.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”