Silkmoth!!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Silkmoth!!!

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:16 am

Just wanted to show you guys my first silk moth that’s been born (well emerged from their cocoon) I’m oddly very proud haha!
So the lesson here is if I can successfully raise silk worms and eventually get more eggs then anyone can! :D
3EEB9868-C0F3-41C5-A742-C3CE978BC10F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Silkmoth!!!

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 am

Congradulations .

Another 4 or 5 and if some of them are girls , you will have several hundred eggs in no time.

Tip, don't chill the eggs colder than 7 degC and wait for them to turn grey first.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 am

Nice! I considered raising them but I simply like them too much to feed to anyone! Those caterpillars are just too cute.
Maybe not to all, but I am a bug fancier as well...
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:27 am

It’s happening!!!!! My room has now become a moth knocking shop for the next 7 days or so...
74EB1DBF-3209-48EA-865F-5343F25F2866.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:28 am

Oops upside down... but ya get the point
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 am

And yes splashy07 they are cute ... when my first moth was born I was like “hello little life!!!!! Do you remember me” haha growing far too attached but ven loves silkworms so needs must!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 am

My skinks and dragons LOVE eating the freshly expired moths & surplus male moths . On the odd occasion I've had up to 10 moths emerge in the same day …. usually it's 3 - 4 per day.

As hatchling dragons and baby skinks they went bananas for the moths. The wild water skinks are pretty darned partial the a moth or two as well.

You'll get up to 400 egg per female moth , so you are well on your way now to silkworm independence. I've been breeding them for about 6 years.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 am

kingofnobbys wrote:My skinks and dragons LOVE eating the freshly expired moths & surplus male moths .

As hatchling dragons and baby skinks they went bananas for the moths. The wild water skinks are pretty darned partial the a moth or two as well.

You'll get up to 400 egg per female moth , so you are well on your way now to silkworm independence. I've been breeding them for about 6 years.

Very, very exciting! They are such cool little creatures to watch aswell. Il let you all know how I get on!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”