My skink is sick!!! Please help me!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Machan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My skink is sick!!! Please help me!

Postby Machan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:13 am

My skink is playing like normal and she shudden had some strange behavior: she have to swing her left leg more than once to be able to move. I thought something stuck her leg but nothing there. I let her play outside her tank some more minutes but whenever she moved that happened again so I but her back in cage. After moving like that for another some minutes in cage she stop moving. But even when she stand still her leg is still twitching and that prevent her to sleep. I see her try to bite her legs many time and she keep drink much water since then to. I will bring her to vet tomorrow but I really worry about her now because her leg keep moving and she can't sleep.
This is a short video of her. It keep repeating like this nonstop :helpme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzARWBoHKI
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: My skink is sick!!! Please help me!

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:09 am

I have not as yet seen this in a bluey, but have seen in bearded dragons and iguanas as early signs of MBD. Your vet should be able to tell you more, good luck, and please let us know the verdict!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Have you picked her up to try to rub the leg/hand to make sure there isn't anything stuck there?
I know we have a big time difference so it's difficult to be of assistance in a timely manner. I just hope your vet has an easy explanation and a quick fix.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Yeshika
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Yeshika » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:41 pm

It's possible it could be something irritating her skin, like if you had something on your hands and it rubbed off on her.
Have you checked for any stuck shed? That could be it?

I've seen this happen to animals with very small broken bones, where they keep twitching the limb to try and 'shake off' whatever's causing the discomfort, because they don't understand it's not something on the outside afflicting them.

Spashy and Susan's suggestions make sense too. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but definitely get it checked out to be safe.

all the best
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Prayers you get answers at the vet. All of the above responses could be a possibility. Let us know how it turns out
Machan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Machan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 pm

She has been shaking her leg the whole night but this early morning when I woke up I didn't she her did that anymore. She looks really normal like nothing happened. I brought her to vet but they can't do a blood test because reptile is still new in my country. They just do some basic check but because all her abnormal behavior disappeared they can't figure out anything and now she look fine too. I also find out some stuck shed under her belly near the leg, not her toes, but that doesn't explain why she need to drink that much water. I always give her a fine diet to make sure she never get mbd so I really surprise if she gets it.
I feed her once/3 day with cat food add ca + d3 and treat her fruit and Fluker's buffet blend ( all her food has plus calcium). Did I do something wrong?
Thank you all.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:01 pm

To add on the previous thoughts: do you know her subspecies? I'm suspecting a Halmahera at the moment from the thin bands. What is your humidity readings? In addition to the diet - are you feeding her vegetables/greens? They contain nutrients that fruit and cat food alone won't be able to provide. All the best!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Machan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Machan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:50 am

She is a Halmahera. The normal humidity of the air is about 60% - 70% so I barely spray her tank. She is always stand on her water bow to try to get out of the tank so I think she gets enough humidity. Her belly is very soft and smooth, but her back is rougher, is that ok?
Honestly, I usually feed her dehydrated vegetable pack for omnivore reptile along with cat food because normally we have coriander, water morning glory, malabar spinach, amaranth, are those safe for her to eat?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 am

Ahh, you'll want to try raise the humidity for Halmaheras - as most keepers recommend an average of 90%+. If she's standing on her water bowl - there's a possibility of her wanting more moisture rather than wanting to get out the tank (of course, can't say for sure!).

I don't have much knowledge of dehydrated vegetables vs. fresh greens in regards to nutrients, but I would *presume* it would be fine (may be an idea to research it). Pretty interesting mix you have there (never heard of Amaranth until now!), the only one that stands out for now would be the spinach. I believe there are food charts that say to avoid spinach for Blueys.

Goodluck! Hope she'll be well soon :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Machan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Machan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 am

Thank you all for yours help. Her movement looks a bit heavier and she seems not able to stand straight on her tail like before but she is acting like normal again. I will keep a close eye on her and bring her to vet again if something strange happens.
Thank you!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Or an injury / cut under the foot or a toe ?
Machan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Machan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 am

No, I checked it carefully, she didn't have any injury. Still don't know the cause but she looks really fine now. Thank you all for help :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”