Not drinking water?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Meg_mkrose
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 pm
Country: America

Not drinking water?

Postby Meg_mkrose » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 pm

I recently got a Indonesian blue tongue skink almost two days ago. He’s about three months old, so I’m trying really hard to be careful and not stress him out as much. I’ve been letting him hide and putting food out in case he wants to eat and taking it out when he doesn’t. However he hasn’t moved from his hide (he is alive though) and he won’t come out to drink water. I know during the first week they don’t usually eat till they’re more comfortable, but I don’t know about water. Is it the same thing? The only time I saw him get close to the water is when I put it right in front of the hide and he was just barely poking his head out. I’m a little worried because I want him to be okay. If he’s supposed to be drinking water, is there a way I can get him to drink it? I’m also not sure if he’s supposed to be coming out of his hide. He stays there all day and I’m not sure if that’s normal, any advice would be helpful, thank you!
User avatar
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 pm
Country:
Location: Netherlands

Re: Not drinking water?

Postby kayla990 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 am

Not too uncommon behaviour with the hiding for the moment. Are you able to add in more hides? They may be more likely to come out briefly if they feel more secure. Initially you can put the food/water very close to the hide and see if he takes some. As it's only been two days it's not too unusual - best is to give him space and quiet for a few days (without handling for around two weeks, but of course still feeding/spot cleaning and you can gently talk to him to get used to your voice).

As he's quite young, if he's not eating still after a few days keep us updated. In the meantime you can post a picture of your setup and what food you're offering in case there's anything we can advice on for the moment :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1229
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
Country: australia
Location: NSW

Re: Not drinking water?

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 am

Keep offering fresh water daily …. he's a BT and being thirsty goes with the territory , unless he's getting enough water from his food.

He may just be a shy drinker, only visiting the water dish for a drink when no one is watching. If you are really worried …. keep an eye on the moisture content of his poos , if they come out hard and dry looking , it's a sign he needs more water in his diet.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 266 guests