Enclosure Pictures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Enclosure Pictures

Postby Janella » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 pm

I did a total enclosure clean tonight for both my guys. What you all think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedheadChick96
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RedheadChick96 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 am

Well I redid Reese's enclosure. She seemed like she needed it. Now she acts much better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mywave
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mywave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Hey just a question for you guys, enclosures looking awesome btw!
Hey, I notice a lot of these pics show two domed light fixtures , one has the basking light obviously, is the other for a CHE or something?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 pm

mywave wrote:Hey just a question for you guys, enclosures looking awesome btw!
Hey, I notice a lot of these pics show two domed light fixtures , one has the basking light obviously, is the other for a CHE or something?

The other dome is UVB
islandlizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby islandlizards » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:14 pm

I have just finished setting this larger tank up for my two blue-tongues. Dad built this habitat for my Christmas present this year. King Billy and Correa (my Blue-Tounges) are really enjoying the 4 foot habitat.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:37 pm

idk if I can still post here
Bajo’s tank still needs some work. He just has a hide and and basking tile nothing really special.
I’m hoping to make his tank look just as nice as Kira’s.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Bryson26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Bryson26 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:51 pm

This is my new bts set up. I haven’t got the heat lamps yet but the black thing is the cool hide and the rock is it’s basking rock. It can also burrow underneath the rock if it wanted. I’m getting more stuff tomorrow to make it look better. I have an under tank heater buts it’s trash. What else should I get? Oh and I’m getting a thermometer with a hygrometer.
Keytal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Keytal » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 am

My skinks (not all) ... just an idea how I keep them :)
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Update on our tank :D 150x60x60cm. (lots of pictures/long post warning!)

front_1_50_84.jpg

As of today...cool side on the left with the real plants, and fake plants on the hot side (right) with a mini waterfall feature in the corner - mainly to help humidity, though she likes drinking and climbing on it.

before_6.jpg

Above view after a spray down. She's still able to fit on the ramp for the moment, may have to work out something when she's bigger!

before_9.jpg

For those interested by the plant types: Pink Fan Bromeliad, Guzmania Bromeliad, Peperomia Carperata, Tillandsia (sadly shop didn't know the airplant name); along with a bunch of unidentified moss. Hopefully will try Pilea Glauca in there again (unless she tries to munch it again..).

before_3.jpg

Quick shot of the middle section, I love that the lichen is growing really well! May see if I can get it growing on the rocky surface. The tunnel and ramp to basking spot is natural cork bark. Substrate is a mix of sphagnum moss, reptile/orchid bark, cypress mulch, coco-coir and natural mosses. Water dish size increased since last post; as she's growing well.
Note - I don't recommend pebbles, learnt the hard way! (they have since been fully removed this morning.. heard some clanking noises and saw she dragged one out in attempt to chomp down on it! Might have thought it was a snail? Managed to get the pebble away in time; and plan to replace them with huge rocks so she can climb in/out easily).

before_2.jpg

The fan bromeliad when it was in bloom - it's gained two pup's since then; hoping it'll flower again in summer! Attached to a sturdy piece of driftwood that also allows burrowing underneath. So far keeping in one piece!

before_7.jpg

Before it was planted, showing the different levels. There is another cave on the far right side, just below the ramp.

before_5.jpg

Last one! The air plant in the new location.. since she loved to use it as a ladder to get to the 'Top' level (favorite spot.. climbs up nearly daily, can see her on the background). Also pushed off every last bit of moss from the 'Top' and 'Ledge' :lol: gave up replacing it.. may hot glue it on!

So although she's just under 4 months old - still managed to uproot/pull down plants (as expected!). However I'm really surprised how much she seems to climb up high, seems to do this a lot more than burrowing (will sometimes slink under the larger moss patches or snuggle into the plant pot; otherwise we don't see her go underground). I really love watching her explore things, so feels worth while doing it! Still learning a lot from her behaviour, and will change things around as needed (or for further enrichment). I can't say if her activity is from the tank layout or personality, but she seems to be out a lot! For example today she was out and about from 6:30am until 8:00pm :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
K4p1nkrunch
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby K4p1nkrunch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:16 pm

I did some landscaping, here is the current setup.
Good travels
SlizzardNannie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SlizzardNannie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello all! I was really excited to post my enclosure, now after seeing everyones' enclosures, I am not as confident! I can't wait to make mine as impressive as the ones I see on here! But this is my beginner skink enclosure. I am happy with it! (as of right now, hehe).
megamuff
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby megamuff » Sun May 27, 2018 11:37 am

I don’t have a bluey yet but the enclosure is done. I should be getting a baby Northern within the next week or two. It’s a 40 gallon breeder (I think it’s zoo med). For heat I have a 100w incandescent bulb over the basking spot and a 60w incandescent bulb in the middle to warm it up a little more. Under the basking spot is a shoebox covered with popsicle sticks that raises the actual basking spot so it’s hot enough and it’s also a hide
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:20 am

At the moment I’ve got a bit of a temporary front as I’ve had to keep the left cool side slightly open to keep the temps down that end. It’s secure and I close it in the night but otherwise it gets too hot on the cool end, and the plastic I’m using at the moment seems to work better than the lid I was using before, plus it’s very clear so he gets to look out if he wants. Norbert seems to like the layout and has decided that the ramps to climb onto the tops of hides aren’t necessary, he just uses the sides of the hides and sort of slides up them. The t-shirt at the front is covering the temporary humid hide, the big hide at the back on the left was made as a humid hide but until I can get him to stop eating moss I’m not putting it in there.

B16EEBB6-17F2-4A64-B71E-30298B7F2AD1.jpeg
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 7.62 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Here is my encloser for my baby BTS arriving this week. Besides the two hides I opted for open space for him. May add more Decor or hiding depending on his comfort level.
Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cam comstock

Postby Kudzoo328 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm

75 gallon, reptibark, cypress mulch , sphagnum moss and eco earth. Got the fogger on a timer and the humid hide incase the water runs out of the fogger, nothing special but plenty of places to hide and plenty of room for my irian jaya
brettmallard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby brettmallard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 am

Hello folks

Here is what I'm housing my Kei Island Blue Tongue Skink in.

40 Gallon Breeder tank with Ventilated sides and top.

Zoo Med Coco Fiber Substrate with Sphagnum Moss

Fluker's 100 W Mercury Heat/UVB lamp

Ceramic Night Heater

Cork hide for basking side and a Zoo Med half round hide with Sphagnum moss (misted) for cool side

Large water Dish

Large Feeding Dish for when feeding (remove it when not feeding)

Added a Waterfall for her! She seems to like it.

Kudzoo328
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Cam comstock

Postby Kudzoo328 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:53 am

Im probably way too proud of my simple set up but its a 75gallon tank with about 90% eco earth with about 10% forest floor and some spahgnum moss A few rocks, 2 hides, several plants, a cool little peice of drift wood with a pretty good portion of pillow moss growing in it and around the waterfall, and also a nice misting system to keep the humidity up for my 5 month old irian jaya
Xpert
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Xpert » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello, this is Chopper, My Halmahera BTS. This is my enclosure currently, as i was on a budget when getting him and only got the basics and nothing fancy. Now i know its bare and i don't know if this the right thread to post this but any suggestions on what else to put in it, plants, hides, etc. i've been looking at plants but there are so many i am unsure on which i should get, and don't want anything too expensive. Ty :D
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

edit: sorry about the amount of pics uploaded wasn't sure how many to put
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi Xpert, Chopper is a cutie. I would absolutely add more hides. They need at least 2 as a minimum. One on the hot side and one on the cool side. I have 3 hides in my 4ft enclosure. I wouldn't suggest real plants, but instead fake ones. If you want to see what my enclosure looks like, just look back on this thread for pictures of my enclosures. Good luck!
lifesagame
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby lifesagame » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:21 am

I’ve found eBay can be a good place for fake plants, you can get some nice ones cheap. I’ve tended to stick with ones with bigger leaves, I was worried about him pulling them off and eating them, but I think any are good as they can be extra hiding places if they’re big enough.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”