Possible Green Anole (Carolina anole)

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
TinyBear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Possible Green Anole (Carolina anole)

Postby TinyBear » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 am

Recently rescued from one of my foster kittens she seems to be in good health other than her not favoring her left rear foot. I don't know a lot about anole's other than I see them all the time in the summer. I think she was trying to come in from the cold (it's been in the teens here which is way too cold for them). She was dark brown almost black when I got her but she has perked up to a bright green now. I don't know a lot about reptiles other than snakes and skinks so I was wondering if any of y'all had some tips? Her current enclosure is temporary but is around 85 degrees and I'm gonna guess 80+% humidity which I am trying to figure out how to lower. Additionally she has a log to run on and through and a piece of slate for basking but she seems to prefer basking on the log. I'm on my way to a friend's house to get some properly gutloading wax worms and crickets now. I want to release her when it warms up some but I want to make sure she is comfy until then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Possible Green Anole (Carolina anole)

Postby kayla990 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Awww, poor little thing - so sad to hear about the cold and how badly reptiles are doing with it!

While I've not kept one, it sounds like you've got a good set-up until release day :D I hear that a gradient of 75 (for cooler side) to 80 (warm side) is good, with a UV/basking spot (if you've got a spare laying around, know it's intended to be temporary) of 85-90.

Otherwise the only other tips that I could add is you could possibly have the tank on a higher shelf than normal (can make them feel more secure being high, and could reduce the chance of becoming *too* tame before going back to the wild) and that while they will drink from a standing dish, seems they prefer to drink similar to geckos - so licking leaves/glass from misting. Goodluck! Fingers crossed it'll become warm soon..!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 am

She appears to be a 'he'. My appreciation to you for helping out the little guy, anoles are another of my favorite species, have kept many greens and now keeping Cubans. Your humidity is fine, they seem to do much better with high humidity as long as the temps are above 80 on the warm side. Contrary to popular belief that they do not live longer than 5 years, I had one that was an adult when I got him and had him 6 years + . They are also said not to drink from a dish, but they do. Daily misting should be done regardless. The males seem to outlast the females from what I have seen. They will tame down and take food from your hand or tweezers, and I believe get to know you. My Cuban jumps out and runs up to my shoulder every time I go in to change water.
Bright, active and interesting little pets. No matter what I am keeping, I always have a few anoles of one type or another, most often greens or Cubans.
TinyBear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TinyBear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you both so much for your thoughtful replies! Since the last post it snowed again so I moved to a 10gal glass terrarium (from a 5gal plastic aquarium). It's got coconut bark substrate and green moss and stays between 55 - 70% humidity. Basking is 85-90, warm side is 80 to cool/shade at 70ish. I've also been feeding g crickets and mealworms. I really hate crickets though so I may just switch to a mix of mealworms and wax worms. I've had better success propagating wax worms than meal worms because I think the darkling beetles will eat the eggs and pupa.

I, can confirm she is in fact a he. Through everything he never did his dew lap so I just assumed! Sadly, I suppose this means I will not be able to pair him with another animal. I was thinking of putting another female in (when I though he was a she) but of course now I worry about babies. I'm assuming he could breed with a Cuban as well? What about Graham's anole or Allison's anole? They're both bigger by a couple of centimeters so of I got females there might be less aggression issues? There is a local pet store I could sell to but I'm not sure about raising tiny anoles. Would a long tail grass lizard be ok to house with him? I've heard conflicting things about housing different species together but the long tails like similar environments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Very pretty - looks like he's doing well :D While I can't say for sure, I know a lot mention about the chitin and fat ratio of feeding just mealworms, something to maybe consider if you decide for only mealies/wax worms.

Can understand not wanting to put a female in there - if you're still planning on releasing when it warms up, may be best to keep solo. One of the reason being that many wild reptiles can have internal parasites (which I *think* can spread to others if housed together?) and since it's wild, difficult to say if it'll cause stress from forcing/having a room mate (regardless of species, as arguably it is a small space vs. what it's been used to outside). Would be a shame if a fight occurred..

Curious, how come you're thinking of housing him with another reptile? Have you got other reptiles also rescued from the cold?

Of course, I'm not sure of what your state laws are when taking in wild animals to keep as pets - but thought would throw out something to think on :)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 am

Male anoles are very territorial, regardless of species they'd fight. A Cuban would eat him, they are four times the size. This type of lizard is best kept singly or in sexed pairs. They would most likely breed but the chances of the eggs hatching are not great. I had pairs for years but no eggs. Sure would be interesting, though..the little ones are absolutely adorable and being they are native you could always release them if it happened. As mentioned above, wild reptiles often harbor parasites, and when captured the stress sometimes triggers an overload causing death. Yours looks extremely healthy and happy though, so I do think he has settled in. I don't like to admit this, but in my younger days I used to catch lizards in Florida and bring them home...one particular anole lasted a very long time! They are very personable, interesting pets. I've had hundreds of reptiles over the years, but I'll always have an anole or two!! Absolutely love them. Check out my off-topic post, you will see my Cubans.
Indigia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Indigia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:39 am

My little brother used to love catching those when he was little! We were in your situation once too. We wound up sticking him in the microwave for a few seconds, probably shouldn’t have done that but he turned out fine! They like little crickets. I think about 80-98 is a nice temperature for these guys. NC is really humid so above 80%
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 am

I wish we were able to buy them here, I've read they are very smart little lizards- known to be very good at problem solving. I think they'd be fascinating little lizards to keep as pets.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”