Angry Blue Tongue Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
beccabluester
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Angry Blue Tongue Skink

Postby beccabluester » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 am

This is my blue tongue skink Bowie. I got him from a local reptile store. When I asked what kind he was the employee said they thought it was Indonesian.
I've had Bowie for over a month now yet all he does is huff at me, and lash at me when i put my hand near him. He hasn't bitten me, but I often worry he might. I try to hold him for a few minutes everyday or let him sit on my lap, and when he's in his tank I always talk to him for awhile. But a lot of the time when i hold him he ends up pooping and peeing everywhere, and has now began to use his food bowl (which I put all the love and care into preparing him nice meals) as a toilet. He also spends all his time burrowed under his cypress mulch and never comes out, I have to dig him out so he can at least eat.

I also have a leopard gecko who I was able to tame very quickly, but no matter what I do Bowie doesn't seem to like me lol. What can I do?

Bowie is in a 40 gal breeder and has cypress mulch and sphagnum moss as a substrate. The warm end is between 85-90 degrees f with a basking spot of around 95f and the cool end is in the low to mid 70s. In the day he was a 75watt basking light and uvb light on the warm end which is switched to a heat mat at night. Humidity ranges from 50-70. He has a log hide and a large fake plant as a hide as well. I've included some photos of him and his enclosure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mywave
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Angry Blue Tongue Skink

Postby mywave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 pm

I can relate to your struggle! I have one eastern Charlie who is the most docile relaxed skink, however he hides 80% of the time!
And my younger eastern Poppy is as lungey and snappy as Bowie sounds like!
She was like that since she was a baby and shes a year old now.
But she is super active and hides only 20% of the time.

You learn how to approach and hold them so they are unlikely to bite, any way their bites don't hurt too much.

Keep doing what you are doing, the enclosure looks great and the temps sound algood.
Have a read of the FAQs here, there is a really good article around taming skinks.
Perhaps its winter in your area atm? He might be trying to Brumate.

I firmly believe a feisty bluey makes an awesome pet, as they tend to be a lot more active.

But Bowie may mellow over time and get used to the handling, he doesn't look like a bubby, did the seller tell you how old he though he was?

P.S. AWESOME LOOKING SKINK! :ohyes:
beccabluester
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby beccabluester » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks! I'm not sure how old he is. I measured him and he's about 13in long. It is winter here in Connecticut and does get colder at night. I'm not that familiar with brumation, is it similar to hibernation? And is there anyway I can help him, or should I leave him alone? I'm still pretty new to owning a bts so sorry i have a lot of questions haha :noknow:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:51 am

I'd leave him be, and when he comes out you can try giving him treats that he likes so he learns that you are his friend and will eventually trust you. When I kept Halmaheras I got them as babies and they grew up tame as can be. Yours is a bit older and will take a little time, possibly a recent import. I also live in the northeast, mine did not brumate but slowed down a bit in winter. Brumation is a semi-hibernative state reptiles go into off season, and when they come out it's breeding time! At times they might come out to take a drink of water and even possibly walk around a bit, then they go into their hides again. Different species brumate at different times, also depending on your location. Some stay down longer than others. If this is what you suspect, best to leave him alone, if you keep digging him out it's only going to tick him off, and disrupt his cycle. They can smell their food a mile away, so no need to bother him. If he wants to come out and eat or drink, he will.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 am

Since he's a Halmahera you might want to bump humidity up to consistent 70-80%. Halmaheras are particularly sensitive to "low" humidity levels, and they feel ill without it. He may also feel more secure (less aggressive) if you black out the walls. Scotch tape and construction paper usually works fine.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
beccabluester
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby beccabluester » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Ok cool, I will try these things and see if it helps! Thanks everyone :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”