Eating cork hide?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
GibbsTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:47 pm
Country:

Eating cork hide?

Postby GibbsTheSkink » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

My husband got Gibbs, a northern, a new hide like 2 weeks ago. It's a 6" or so hollow cork log. A few days after we put it in the tank I noticed Gibbs in there looking like he was eating it, and I stopped him. Yesterday I noticed him having issues pooping and it was not at all like his normal poop. He's not really been eating as much as normal in the last week either. Again today he had issues pooping and passed a rather sizable chunk, and I removed the hide entirely after I caught him trying to munch on it again. :(

Why on earth would he eat the cork? And I'm hoping that aside from the discomfort passing the chunks, it's not dangerous (like doing harm to his intestines or anything), right?
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Eating cork hide?

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Their little minds work in strange ways sometimes. :doh: I doubt there is a problem, adult blueys can normally pass some big stuff eg. pips from plums etc. Yeh need to remove the hide.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Eating cork hide?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am

Sometimes they will get some food on their 'furniture', and the scent will be there. I've had them try and eat the food dish. They obviously have a very strong sense of smell.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 267 guests