Home Built Enclosures
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- BlueyNoob
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:15 pm
- Country: Canada
Home Built Enclosures
I am anxiously awaiting warmer weather to start buying materials and building Doug's new enclosure, but that is still a few months away. In the meantime I am researching a lot and would like any advice offered. I'd love to see your home built enclosures and the materials used to make it pet safe!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*WARNING* I'm a BTS noob, and I'm incredibly anxious so I'll always act like a noob


-
Scincus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 93
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am
- Country: USA
Re: Home Built Enclosures
Hello!
I noticed no one has responded to you, so I'll give some of my experience. I have not built a custom enclosure for a skink, but I have built one for an ameiva I used to have. Since merauke BTS require high humidity, you will want to make sure the enclosure is sealed so that the wood will not rot. I have seen people use drylok, valspar, and fibreglass resin. I personally used the fibreglass resin. It is extremely good at sealing, but it can be messy and needs to be done outside or in a very well-ventilated area since it has super strong fumes. I only used about two or three coats on mine. In terms of wood materials, I used a combination of birch and pine. Pine is controversial since untreated pine can be considered toxic to reptiles, but the one I used was both completely dried, and the fibreglass resin would have sealed away any potential harmful toxins/fumes. However, I would stick with a wood type, like birch, that is considered safe anyway. It's also super, super important that you make sure all your measurements are perfect. "Measure twice, cut once" as people say. When you have put the enclosure together, you will also want to seal the edges to prevent any moisture from seeping through. You can use 100% silicone/aquarium-grade silicone to do that.
For heating, if you decide to install a light fixture, make sure you can safely wire it, otherwise get someone to help you who has experience.
I'll try to find pictures of the enclosure I made. It was not done very well, and the measurements were slightly off, but it was a huge learning experience that will help me in the future.
For heating, if you decide to install a light fixture, make sure you can safely wire it, otherwise get someone to help you who has experience.
I'll try to find pictures of the enclosure I made. It was not done very well, and the measurements were slightly off, but it was a huge learning experience that will help me in the future.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Home Built Enclosures
Just makes sure of a few things.

- Lid, or doors that can't be easily pushed open (preferably with a locking mechanism of some sort)
Lights not mounted near the side of the enclosure that blueys can climb up and touch.
Non porous materials lining the inside - they can be very messy, proper clean up can be a problem.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
-
VivariumVic
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:16 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CA
Re: Home Built Enclosures
I noticed you plan on using 2x2s for the frame. Just know that the actual dimensions are not 2" it is really 1.5"x1.5"
If youre cutting the wood yourself no big deal but if you're having say home depot cut the wood your measurements would be off
If youre cutting the wood yourself no big deal but if you're having say home depot cut the wood your measurements would be off
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 160 guests
