BTS kept with Cunningham skinks

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kitas22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 am
Country:
Location: Australia

BTS kept with Cunningham skinks

Postby kitas22 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:24 am

So a bit of a backround on my current situation, I currently own two beautiful bluys, a northern and a blotched, they live together in a wooden tank that I built myself. It is 120cm by 60cm. They get along so well and I often find them asleep together even though they have four hides to chose from.
I'm not sure if this enclosure is big enough to add a Cunningham skink. I know that I would have to add more hides and logs because they tend to climb more. I was just wondering what u guys think about getting a Cunningham skink to live with them, we don't have enough room for another enclosure and I know they live together in the wild.
Thanks in advance.

I tried to attach pictures but I don't think it worked :(
User avatar
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 pm
Country: Australia
Location: Sydney

Re: BTS kept with Cunningham skinks

Postby NickBrahz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm

How big is the floorspace of the enclosures, as far as i know Richard keeps some cunninghams and bluetongues together, to upload pictures have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28657

Edit: Didn't see the size part, at that size it should only be housing 1 BTS.
Last edited by NickBrahz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: BTS kept with Cunningham skinks

Postby alichamp » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:00 pm

You have them in a small tank already. how old are they?

Richard does keep more than 1 together but they live mostly in a large outdoor enclosure and he has been keeping bts and others (including Cunninghams) for years and years. So he knows them well and reads his groupings very very carefully. He also has whole other setups so he can separate.

It is recommended to keep each bts in a separate enclosure especially in small indoor setups do they don't fight or mate or both.

I very strongly suggest you not only don't add a new animal but you separate the two you have into their own enclosures given your set up. What state are you in? There are also guidelines on the living conditions of reptiles including minimum space so it might be worth looking up these.
kitas22
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 am
Country:
Location: Australia

Re: BTS kept with Cunningham skinks

Postby kitas22 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:54 am

Thanks guys for the advise. I've decided to build an out door enclosure for the Cunninghams. My blotchie is just over one year old and I'm not sure of my northerns age. She is around 35cm though, what age do u recon she would be. I will also look into the guidelines now.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests