Austin in Arizona U.S.A.

Scincoides

Austin in Arizona U.S.A.

Postby Scincoides » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:56 am

Halmahera form of T. g. gigas:

This group of animals seems to have more incorrect and conflicting information spread around than any other Indonesian variety. Halmaheras are currently classified as T. g. gigas. During a study of wild Indonesian blue tongues, Dr. Glenn Shea noted some differences in size and pattern, but made no mention of ever intending to describe the Halmahera as its own sub species.

Care for Halmaheras is a little more intensive than other gigas varieties. They are not what I’d consider a good choice for a beginner, due to the fact that they are reasonably fragile in comparison.

Temperatures:
Due to the tropical climate that Halmaheras are found in, I keep mine fairly warm. 100°F basking spot with the cool end dropping into the low 80s.

Humidity/Substrate:
Halmaheras have very high humidity requirements. In my experience, they simply do not thrive at humidity levels lower than 80%. While their range is absolutely not restricted to the island of Halmahera, they seem to frequent higher humidity environments. I do my best to maintain humidity near 100% for at least part of the day. I do this by limiting air flow, keeping a very large water bowl, using a 50% organic potting soil, 25% Sphagnum moss, and 25% cypress blend for bedding, and at least one misting daily.

Brumation:
Winter shut down for these skinks is almost no work. I lower temps by 10 degrees, for 8 weeks, and they slow down on their own.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami