2016 Baby Update Thread

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

2016 Baby Update Thread

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:22 am

So, 2016 has been a rather pleasing year as far as baby BTS go. Instead of making a thread here and there, I've decided to make one thread compiling all of the babies here over a period of time.

This thread will consist of:
Meraukes (CBB by yours truly)
Keis (CB from imported females)

For now, since the others are in shed, I'll start of with Domino (I usually call him Dom for short). He was born with the thinnest bands of the 2016 Virginia x Hunter litter, as well as the baby with the most color so far. He shed a couple days ago, and I finally had time to go outside to take some photos. Once we finally have an overcast day here, I'll get some lightbox photos. As of this photo, he has had three sheds so far. His bands are orange with some black specks. It seems to me the black is fading away. His back is like a creamy orange-tan color right now. And what really separates him from the others is he has a really cool dusting of peach down his sides. It keeps gaining color as he sheds, so I think it will turn red, like on his father. Now for pictures!

On top of being quite beautiful, his personality is awesome, too. He really only huffs if I wake him up. He is quite the pig, too! I can count on him to eat all his food. I tend to give him leftovers from the others, too. That might be why he is a bit bigger than the others.

OK, this is all for today. Goon from the Xaunder x Hunter pairings has shed, but I'm going to wait until his sibling, Tiger, sheds too before I do an update on them.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
tcopitho
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: 2016 Baby Update Thread

Postby tcopitho » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Dom is looking gorgeous!
he's actually reminding me in these pictures of the yellow youngster I picked up a couple weeks ago, I think its those highlighter peachy sides.

I look forward to the rest sheading out and seeing some more updates.
Lexilou
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lexilou » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:46 pm

His coloring really is stunning :o
Instagram: shamus_the_skink
I love my baby boy :)
ETNJ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ETNJ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:31 pm

That peach color down the side is amazing, can't wait to see how much more he changes. Definitely update us on the Keis, really wanna see how they are turning out.
1.0.3 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
0.0.1 Hemisphaeriodon gerrardii
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks everyone!

tcopitho, I thought similar! Except yours has a really cool broken pattern. I can't wait to see how it matures.

Eddie, I think I will do an update on them next week sometime, perhaps. I have had a bunch of people request updates — didn't realize I didn't post them that much. LOL. They are turning out to be quite the stunners. They shed a lot, but are growing very slowly. Hard to get them to eat that much, too. Having 10 picky baby BTS is not exactly the easiest thing in the world to deal with. :lol: But, pictures will come soon.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
ETNJ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ETNJ » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:11 am

Haha sounds good, no rush. Keis are my new favorite bluey for some reason, especially after seeing how yours are turing out. I can only imagine what that is like. My pink tongue is a bit picky, but having 10 of them must be a challenge.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:17 am

One of the Keis shed, so I figured I'd get him out for a photo. He has developed cool ginger-orange bands. His bands are about the same color as his orange eyes! They still have that glassy look to them, so I think they are developing quite nicely, though slowly it feels. This is K-10 if anyone wants to go back and compare. K-2 has noticeably developed quite nicely, too. He has a very dark face now. I'll get more pics soon. :)

On another note, I'm probably going to name this one Ginger if it turns out to be female.
Last edited by Dakota on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kugelberg
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kugelberg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:51 am

You have some truly beautiful animals :)
Regards Alex
tcopitho
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby tcopitho » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:33 am

Kei looks great. Beautiful colour. Cant wait to see K-1 through 9. That'd be a whole days worth of photo shoots hahaha.
ETNJ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ETNJ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:36 pm

I tend to like the deeper red more but that orange looks pretty cool. I went back and compared, *darn K-10 changed a lot, became a lot brighter with that orange. Ginger seems like an appropriate name too. Are any retaining a reddish color?
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Yeah it would, tcopitho. :lol: I just got requested to do an update on ALL my skinks. :shock: I can't imagine how long that'd take! Probably be an all weekend project.

Eddie, I went to check, and a few seem to be developing some red, but none that really stand out. Maybe it'll develop as time goes on. :noknow: One thing that did stand out to me is how dark K-2 is getting. I know I said his face was getting darker, but I'm noticing his whole body is getting dark, too — unlike the others so far. :shock: And I love dark animals. Decided to get him out for a picture.

This is the thread you can reference from.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29093&p=475820#p475825

Casper just came out of the blue, and Ms. Canada shed this morning, so I'm going to post them once Casper sheds. May post a few more of the Keis, too.

Thanks for looking.
ETNJ
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ETNJ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:07 am

Out of 10, one has to get some nice reds haha, hopefully. Yea I like the colors on K-2 a lot more. Keep the updates coming. :thumbs:
superfirepython
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby superfirepython » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:20 am

The colours on K-2 are amazing :shock: I love the way the warm colours look against the dark areas
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:38 am

Was finally able to take some outside photos of the Meraukes! :D

First off, Casper. To be honest, Capser really doesn't have that great of color compared to the others. But I still like him! I held him back because he didn't eat that well, and you can see from the photos he is a bit smaller and leaner than Ms. Canada and Dom. I'm still not certain if I want to sell him, or just keep him. Casper looks to be turning out to look just like his mother, so I may keep him. I love Virginia's colors, so it wouldn't hurt to have another like her. :wink:

He's developing the intense peach color on his sides similar to Dom.

Now, Ms. Canada! I'm not too happy with these pictures with her awkward pose, but oh well. Ms. Canada's coloration is a lot different than the others. Her base color is not very vibrant at all; almost like a creamy tan color. But her bands are very orange. Even her nape stripe has a lot of orange in it. She lacks the peachy tone on her sides like Dom and Casper.

Figured I'd get Domino out, too. Can't leave out my little buddy. He just keeps looking better and better by the day. :shock: Feels surreal I produced this little dude, and not Susann! Also, I just measured him, and he was 38 cm (around 15 inches). He is 15 inches, and not even three months old yet!

Got another photo of the intense peach coloration he has going on. It is the same color as his belly, but unlike most of the others, it extends up onto his sides quite a bit. I love it.
tcopitho
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby tcopitho » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:54 am

hahaha! oh yeah Casper is so bland and colorless ;D

Three major beauties here. Great variation.

I cant believe how big Dom is, overtaking my 2015 October baby already, he's going to be huge!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:25 pm

Ha-ha, true. I think Casper is going to turn out to be a pretty adult. I guess that is why I am hanging onto him.

Their parents are only 23" and 24". I think he is getting big so quick because he is a major glutton, but would be cool if he turned out to be a "Monster Merauke". :-P Ms. Canada used to be a piggy, but she doesn't eat that much nowadays.

Once Tiger finally sheds, I'm going to do a shoot for the Xaunder babies. Goon is turning out to look almost identical to his uncle, Ema — it is almost scary. It is nice that he is, because Ema passed away of a hemipene infection a bit back. Goon has also developed a head tilt. I'm not sure if it mental health issue, or from where his spine was so twisted. It isn't significant, but I'm going to do an X-ray soon to just see how twisted up he is...
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:25 am

I can't wait to see how they look as adults :D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:05 am

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:I can't wait to see how they look as adults :D

You and me both, ML. :D
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:40 am

Camera memory card is full, but I figured I'd still upload some photos. Crappy phone pics, but oh well.

Goon!
Like I stated before, he developed a head tilt of sort. It seems his right eye is dominant. His left eye is dissociated with his right eye, too. His legs still move in unison, but overall — he is still doing great. May look a little funky, but he is awesome.
KIMG6521.JPG

KIMG6526.JPG

He is not the most colorful Merauke in the world, but he is turning out to look just like his uncle. It doesn't even look like he developed any characteristics from his father, Hunter.

And turns out he REALLY enjoys head rubs.
KIMG6531.JPG

I've considered donating him to someone who does education shows, but I think I'm gonna keep him. He's growing on me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TPceebee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Insta - @Oxide_fx

Postby TPceebee » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:08 am

Poor little guy. Looks like such a sweetheart XD
Reptiles Owned:

1.0 Northern - Rusty - 1 July 2015
0.0.1 Black Roughneck Monitor Lizard - Neville - 1 April 2019

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”