bts & beardie to be friends?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
Bluetongues are far from the anti social solitary occuring species there labled to be,im not going to blab on about it on this thread,but stay tuned as i have some serious thoughts,facts and experimentations to go off with both wild ones and captives and even a mix of them both together,including whats labled the most antifriendly of its on type,northern bluetongues
I dont want people to think that keeping them together is a good thing though,as it does come with risks,and it might be just me but there have been negatives,oddly the male northerns only want to mate unfamiliars
I dont want people to think that keeping them together is a good thing though,as it does come with risks,and it might be just me but there have been negatives,oddly the male northerns only want to mate unfamiliars
-
cassputz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
SUCCESS!!! A little over a one year update on this post. I got both Beardie and bts to get along AWESOME within the first 2 months----but now they both cuddle with my cat on a daily basis!
Bts is "Lil Foot" and beardie is "Drain the lizard"
Please Note: Both reptiles are in sep cages provided the environment suited for them.
They hang out DAILY and supervised at all times. first month in march 2014, we seen slight black beard, but after constant daily interaction.... Nothing! The hang out and don't even recognize each others presence. beardie climbs over him, and bts could care less. We all cuddle every night... and our cat tells us when to let them out so she can cuddle with both and us.
I thank everyone for advice, negative or positive, it was there for guidance. I was able to make it happen as quick as 2 months due to their young age at the time.
Bts is "Lil Foot" and beardie is "Drain the lizard"
Please Note: Both reptiles are in sep cages provided the environment suited for them.
They hang out DAILY and supervised at all times. first month in march 2014, we seen slight black beard, but after constant daily interaction.... Nothing! The hang out and don't even recognize each others presence. beardie climbs over him, and bts could care less. We all cuddle every night... and our cat tells us when to let them out so she can cuddle with both and us.
I thank everyone for advice, negative or positive, it was there for guidance. I was able to make it happen as quick as 2 months due to their young age at the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cassputz on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Lauriek
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
I have noticed that Barnum, my approx. 14 year old blotchie looks for company. I have 2 rescued baby easterns in with Bliss. They 'seem'' to miss her if she's not in the cage. Barnum has 3 of her bubs with her who were born in March this year. The two shingles look for each other if I separate them. They may not be as solitary as people think.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
My bearded dragon doesn't even like me, never mind another reptile. You should see him when I open the snake tubs to maintain them...his cage is above them. Guess because where they originated from snakes are not particularly friendly?
I wouldn't chance it, friends is not a term I'd ever use for reptiles. Slow and sedate one second, then a lunge and an arm comes off....not worth it just for cute's sake.
I wouldn't chance it, friends is not a term I'd ever use for reptiles. Slow and sedate one second, then a lunge and an arm comes off....not worth it just for cute's sake.
- lucasrusinak
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 124
- Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
I personally dont see the point of it, but its your animals. I would always just be nervous because there are plenty of cases of animals being fine together for years and years and then all of a sudden, one day they attack each other for no apparent reason and something goes terribly wrong. These little animals can get stressed very easily
-
Daxx
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
They do look adorable in those pictures. I'm just so surprised they're all so chill with each other. I'd have expected the cat to view them more as a toy/food in a similar way they do mice.
- Lea
- Patron Saint of Blueys

- Posts: 4261
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
I wouldn't let them anywhere near your cat, however cute and cuddly they seem. Cats, however pleasant natured, are still instinctively enemies of lizards and can turn in an instant, with disasterous, often fatal consequences. For the safety of all your animals, please don't let them interact in this way, even when directly supervised.,
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
- NickBrahz
- The Undecider

- Posts: 858
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 pm
- Country: Australia
- Location: Sydney
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
Dangerous to have skink with beardie but the cat is just crazy if you ask me, as Lea said they are hunters i know my 2 cats regularly bring in small skinks and snakes and play with them til they die, or well attempt to do that i pick them up and then let the little buggers free across the road where its safe.
While it may be cute or cool to have them all hang out it is very dangerous and you should put your animals well-being and safety first.
While it may be cute or cool to have them all hang out it is very dangerous and you should put your animals well-being and safety first.
-
jgodman1011
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 27
- Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:13 am
- Country:
- Location: US - Pennsylvania
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
I wonder if I could tye this with ours? My beardie is pretty laid back.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
And this post ^ ^ ^ right here ^ ^ ^ is why I do not like people posting about their skinks "hanging out", "chilling", or "being friends" with their pets of different species, and why I'm seriously considering making it a rule that you are no longer allowed to post pictures of your skink together with other pets.jgodman1011 wrote:I wonder if I could tye this with ours? My beardie is pretty laid back.
You may do as you wish with your own pets; I wish I was able to keep all animals safe in the hands of their keepers, but I can't. You want your dogs and cats to hang and play with your reptiles, go ahead; but posts like this may make other keepers think "Hey, my dog/cat/snake/ferret is pretty laid back, why don't I give it a shot? They made it work."
They might get the idea anyway, and they might get it from somewhere else; your pets are likely going to be just fine, and so might the pets of the keeper who gets the idea from you. In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk, and I for one do not want this forum to be the place where someone gets the idea that this is an OK risk to take.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- NickBrahz
- The Undecider

- Posts: 858
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 pm
- Country: Australia
- Location: Sydney
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
jgodman1011 wrote:I wonder if I could tye this with ours? My beardie is pretty laid back.
I highly advise against that, it can be dangerous letting 2 Bluie's together let alone 2 different species.
-
jgodman1011
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 27
- Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:13 am
- Country:
- Location: US - Pennsylvania
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
wow, that got ugly fast, i simply asked the question! i find it hard to believe that my one little "i wonder if" comment got something nasty in response. Considering making a rule because pets of different species actually get along is a little ridiculous in my opinion, most of us are adults here and realize this is do at your own risk.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
My comment was not directed at you, it was directed at the person who posted the pictures I was talking about. Not you at all. Your comment just exemplified what tends to happen when people post pictures of their BTS, beardie, and cat snuggling cutely together.jgodman1011 wrote:i find it hard to believe that my one little "i wonder if" comment got something nasty in response.
I wish I could be so confident on that. I've been here long enough to have seen ALL kinds of mishaps that resulted from someone reading something or seeing something and assuming it was SAFE because someone else obviously had success with it.jgodman1011 wrote:most of us are adults here and realize this is do at your own risk.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Jbolar
- Halmaherai Lama

- Posts: 290
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
everything about this thread in general has annoyed me. this is an awful idea. the answer is NO don't do it, OP took a huge risk and in this instance lucked out. but when *my stars! hits the fan i doubt we'll hear about it.
0.4.0 Emerald tree boas
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
It has long been the consensus view of this forum to not endorse displaying pictures of keepers placing their BTS in the company of other species. Many members of this forum living in Australia will attest to the damage cats do to these animals, one single bite in many cases will prove fatal because of the toxic level of bacteria carried in a cat's mouth. Over the years I have found several dead very young blotchies on my property with a distinctive puncture wound around the throat; caused by the "playful" bite of a neighbourhood cat.
It is not possible (without blood testing) to determine the level of stress these incompatible animals are under by being in the presence of a known predator. Continuing to place them in potentially stressful situations is lacking respect for them for a self-gratifying Kodak moment.
It is not possible (without blood testing) to determine the level of stress these incompatible animals are under by being in the presence of a known predator. Continuing to place them in potentially stressful situations is lacking respect for them for a self-gratifying Kodak moment.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
cassputz
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey
Re: bts & beardie to be friends?
2016- and they STILL hang out together everyday!
Please NOTE: Each are in diff habitats, eat diff foods, and handled a lot. in 2014, I questioned if this was possible. it IS!
Please NOTE: Each are in diff habitats, eat diff foods, and handled a lot. in 2014, I questioned if this was possible. it IS!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 284 guests
