bts & beardie to be friends?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Richard.C » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Bluetongues are far from the anti social solitary occuring species there labled to be,im not going to blab on about it on this thread,but stay tuned as i have some serious thoughts,facts and experimentations to go off with both wild ones and captives and even a mix of them both together,including whats labled the most antifriendly of its on type,northern bluetongues

I dont want people to think that keeping them together is a good thing though,as it does come with risks,and it might be just me but there have been negatives,oddly the male northerns only want to mate unfamiliars
cassputz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am
Country:
Location: New Jersey

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby cassputz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 pm

SUCCESS!!! A little over a one year update on this post. I got both Beardie and bts to get along AWESOME within the first 2 months----but now they both cuddle with my cat on a daily basis!

Bts is "Lil Foot" and beardie is "Drain the lizard"

Please Note: Both reptiles are in sep cages provided the environment suited for them.

They hang out DAILY and supervised at all times. first month in march 2014, we seen slight black beard, but after constant daily interaction.... Nothing! The hang out and don't even recognize each others presence. beardie climbs over him, and bts could care less. We all cuddle every night... and our cat tells us when to let them out so she can cuddle with both and us.

I thank everyone for advice, negative or positive, it was there for guidance. I was able to make it happen as quick as 2 months due to their young age at the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cassputz on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Lauriek
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1918
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
Country:
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Lauriek » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:50 pm

I have noticed that Barnum, my approx. 14 year old blotchie looks for company. I have 2 rescued baby easterns in with Bliss. They 'seem'' to miss her if she's not in the cage. Barnum has 3 of her bubs with her who were born in March this year. The two shingles look for each other if I separate them. They may not be as solitary as people think.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)

Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby splashy07 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:04 am

My bearded dragon doesn't even like me, never mind another reptile. You should see him when I open the snake tubs to maintain them...his cage is above them. Guess because where they originated from snakes are not particularly friendly?
I wouldn't chance it, friends is not a term I'd ever use for reptiles. Slow and sedate one second, then a lunge and an arm comes off....not worth it just for cute's sake.
User avatar
lucasrusinak
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 am
Country:
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby lucasrusinak » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:10 pm

I personally dont see the point of it, but its your animals. I would always just be nervous because there are plenty of cases of animals being fine together for years and years and then all of a sudden, one day they attack each other for no apparent reason and something goes terribly wrong. These little animals can get stressed very easily
Daxx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:26 pm
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Daxx » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:28 am

They do look adorable in those pictures. I'm just so surprised they're all so chill with each other. I'd have expected the cat to view them more as a toy/food in a similar way they do mice.
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Lea » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:03 pm

I wouldn't let them anywhere near your cat, however cute and cuddly they seem. Cats, however pleasant natured, are still instinctively enemies of lizards and can turn in an instant, with disasterous, often fatal consequences. For the safety of all your animals, please don't let them interact in this way, even when directly supervised.,
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 pm
Country: Australia
Location: Sydney

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby NickBrahz » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:34 am

Dangerous to have skink with beardie but the cat is just crazy if you ask me, as Lea said they are hunters i know my 2 cats regularly bring in small skinks and snakes and play with them til they die, or well attempt to do that i pick them up and then let the little buggers free across the road where its safe.
While it may be cute or cool to have them all hang out it is very dangerous and you should put your animals well-being and safety first.
jgodman1011
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:13 am
Country:
Location: US - Pennsylvania

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby jgodman1011 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:06 pm

I wonder if I could tye this with ours? My beardie is pretty laid back.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Susann » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:42 am

jgodman1011 wrote:I wonder if I could tye this with ours? My beardie is pretty laid back.
And this post ^ ^ ^ right here ^ ^ ^ is why I do not like people posting about their skinks "hanging out", "chilling", or "being friends" with their pets of different species, and why I'm seriously considering making it a rule that you are no longer allowed to post pictures of your skink together with other pets.
You may do as you wish with your own pets; I wish I was able to keep all animals safe in the hands of their keepers, but I can't. You want your dogs and cats to hang and play with your reptiles, go ahead; but posts like this may make other keepers think "Hey, my dog/cat/snake/ferret is pretty laid back, why don't I give it a shot? They made it work."
They might get the idea anyway, and they might get it from somewhere else; your pets are likely going to be just fine, and so might the pets of the keeper who gets the idea from you. In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk, and I for one do not want this forum to be the place where someone gets the idea that this is an OK risk to take.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:09 pm
Country: Australia
Location: Sydney

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby NickBrahz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:19 am

jgodman1011 wrote:I wonder if I could tye this with ours? My beardie is pretty laid back.


I highly advise against that, it can be dangerous letting 2 Bluie's together let alone 2 different species.
jgodman1011
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:13 am
Country:
Location: US - Pennsylvania

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby jgodman1011 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:42 am

wow, that got ugly fast, i simply asked the question! i find it hard to believe that my one little "i wonder if" comment got something nasty in response. Considering making a rule because pets of different species actually get along is a little ridiculous in my opinion, most of us are adults here and realize this is do at your own risk.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Susann » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:22 pm

jgodman1011 wrote:i find it hard to believe that my one little "i wonder if" comment got something nasty in response.
My comment was not directed at you, it was directed at the person who posted the pictures I was talking about. Not you at all. Your comment just exemplified what tends to happen when people post pictures of their BTS, beardie, and cat snuggling cutely together.
jgodman1011 wrote:most of us are adults here and realize this is do at your own risk.
I wish I could be so confident on that. I've been here long enough to have seen ALL kinds of mishaps that resulted from someone reading something or seeing something and assuming it was SAFE because someone else obviously had success with it.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Jbolar
Halmaherai Lama
Halmaherai Lama
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby Jbolar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:43 pm

everything about this thread in general has annoyed me. this is an awful idea. the answer is NO don't do it, OP took a huge risk and in this instance lucked out. but when *my stars! hits the fan i doubt we'll hear about it.
0.4.0 Emerald tree boas
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby El Lobo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:46 pm

It has long been the consensus view of this forum to not endorse displaying pictures of keepers placing their BTS in the company of other species. Many members of this forum living in Australia will attest to the damage cats do to these animals, one single bite in many cases will prove fatal because of the toxic level of bacteria carried in a cat's mouth. Over the years I have found several dead very young blotchies on my property with a distinctive puncture wound around the throat; caused by the "playful" bite of a neighbourhood cat.

It is not possible (without blood testing) to determine the level of stress these incompatible animals are under by being in the presence of a known predator. Continuing to place them in potentially stressful situations is lacking respect for them for a self-gratifying Kodak moment.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
cassputz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am
Country:
Location: New Jersey

Re: bts & beardie to be friends?

Postby cassputz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 am

2016- and they STILL hang out together everyday!

Please NOTE: Each are in diff habitats, eat diff foods, and handled a lot. in 2014, I questioned if this was possible. it IS!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 276 guests