Pet store animals from shelters only

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Pet store animals from shelters only

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:21 am

In today's society, I don't get the argument that shelters are "the only game in town"; most people who are serious about the animals they buy go on the internet to find breeders. Used to be, you wanted something, you went to the pet store or hit the yellow pages.
I only wish this included reptiles as well, and was nationwide, but it's got to start somewhere. Kudos, Salt Lake county!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: Pet store animals from shelters only

Postby Dakota » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:47 pm

I like how they passed this legislation without hurting existing shops. I think the idea is great. Go Salt Lake City!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Dood
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Dood » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:12 am

This has already been in effect in Ontario for several years

The pet store cages that use to hold puppies and kittens now have shelter animals and literature on where to adopt more animals

The spay and neutering program for dogs has been so successful in major cities in Canada that most shelters ship in dogs from rural areas and the States to meet the demand :)
NickBrahz
The Undecider
The Undecider

Postby NickBrahz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 am

Over here down under pet stores sell animals but also have information on how to adopt shelter ones and are used as vendors to sell the shelter animals to new owners.
And not just the "standard pets" like dogs/cats and bunnies, everything from birds to farm animals reptiles rodents etc.

Not sure i fully understood the article but i take it new animal shops in Salt Lake County sell shelter animals only now?
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Dood wrote:This has already been in effect in Ontario for several years
The spay and neutering program for dogs has been so successful in major cities in Canada that most shelters ship in dogs from rural areas and the States to meet the demand :)
That is fantastic! I hope we follow suit!

NickBrahz wrote:Not sure i fully understood the article but i take it new animal shops in Salt Lake County sell shelter animals only now?
That is correct. No dogs, cats, or rabbits unless they come from a shelter, due to overpopulation and the massive numbers of these animals languishing and being killed daily in shelters and rescues. All other animals are still fair game though.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”