pr bonding before mating season kicks in

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

pr bonding before mating season kicks in

Postby Richard.C » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:59 pm

20151007_170806-1.jpg
You often hear how shingle backs hang around particular partners before mating season begins in earnest

I see similar behaviour in group kept blotchies outdoors here,one of the many things u take for granted and pass off as coincidence,but looking deeper into it i actually do see a pattern with the more dominant males

Scott,as a fellow keeper of blotchies in groups outdoors,just wondering if u see this

Now im bringing it up they will probably do something different ,lol,but ill go through some pics of last couple of seasons,in particular last season and show what i mean,tge vic alpine males are doing there post brumation sheds now and dominant male,worst one for this behaviour is hanging off a young first timer,not showing mating interest,they just bask together,sleep together and he appears to keep other males away but not in typical head bite im boss behaviour,more just pushing them away as if to say mine

20151007_170806-1.jpg

Here he is here,at front of pic using the younger fresh shed male to aid his shedding,but posably also to get him away from the female hes been hanging around,thats her in back of pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: pr bonding before mating season kicks in

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 am

20151007_171947-1.jpg

Younger fresh shed male didnt like being harrassed and buggered of else where,dominant male then used inside of hide to finish shed,water fall with pebble finish upside down for a hide and curled up at entrence

And lizard trying to get in there makes him pop out enough to bulldoze them away,quite amusing really,but they get the hint and go elsewhere and he curls back up just inside when they get far enough away

Ive noticed him hanging round her a bit but its been pretty cool up until recently and since then hes stuck right with her,todays first ive noticed him shooing others off though

My moneys on him covering this female when he kicks off his 2015 campaign,hopefully he doesnt do the proverbial and prove me wrong,lol,will keep a close eye on things and see how it goes,and others to

And if anyone else notices this sort of thing feel free to share
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:47 pm

20151008_091904-1.jpg

9.30 the next morning and here they are basking at about 12 degrees air temp,about 3 metres away from hide thats at back corner of cage,this iscloser to the front,top left of pic is the 3rd male whom started shedding yesterday arvo,still only done to shoulders so will probably be done by lunch time when he warms up

Quick check before heading to work anyways
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:07 pm

20151008_162103-1.jpg

On my break from work,just after 3.30 pm and still together

20151008_163055-1.jpg

Just after 4.30 and there making there way back to the hide

In the mean time a 4th and 5th adult male have shed
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:31 pm

20151008_172206-1.jpg

Not going to count this one but 5.20 group basking in the opasite front corner of cage near the other water fall hide,catching the last rays of the day,temp got up to 22 today
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 pm

20141028_170445-3.jpg

Interestingly heres same male but under the female he hang around in lead up last season,again recently shed
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:54 pm

20141102_163029-4.jpg

Then eventually covering her

Cant find pics on mu fone of some of the pre shed hanging around her pics but will look at a thread from last season as im sure i mentioned it then
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:43 pm

20151014_180610.jpg

On checking on the vic alpines yesterday after a 3 day absence due to days off work,i noticed the males are ow pacing cage like mad,nudging and checking females out before continuing on,bit of movement makes them run over and check it out

Gave them a whole can of dogfood yesterday and pacing males showed no interest but females and young males hooked in,saw no males hanging near particular females,they were pacing like mad,but when sun was going down,i noticed dominant male,a younger male and the female they stick close to had curded up in the rock pile

Same two males in first pic of this thread and same female,they were both gently nudging her

Must be getting close to outdoor blotchy mating time
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:51 pm

20151014_163707.jpg
20151014_162312.jpg

Pic of mostly girls eating,males pacing by in back ground

This is the female up on log basking whilst others where eating,that the two males are hanging around

I popped 3 big vic alpine girls back in that i brumated indoors but they were woken indoors so may have already shut there windows,time will tell i guess but nothings been really checking them out
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:23 pm

I agree that there is a bit of cozying up that goes on, not sure about the "bonding" thing. The males seem to take it in turns at guarding their territory.
bond1.jpg

bond2.jpg
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Yeah could be a thing where they are just hanging round females they know will open windows to guard from other males cutting there lunch
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:14 pm

20151016_174838.jpg

Ok,yesterday on breif check before work i spotted the water fall hide a shaking and this young male was looking in side,he ran off and male in back ground chased him,then the big dominant male stuck his head out from under hide then went back in

20151016_175050.jpg

Suprise suprise,lifted hide and dominant males sticking to female like glue,has a couple of fresh head scuffs on him,from older male that chased younger one

Older male tried going back in but old dominant male stopped him and it took off and curled up under other hide in front corner of cage where it stayed

20151016_180127.jpg

Whilst old dominant male was busy keeping his young son away,son doesnt seem to take the hint,the female shot out and into the rock pile making old boy and son give chase

Old boy sat on her and bit young one everytime he came close,persistent little bigger isnt taking the hint but old boys stubborn and not leaving her side

Good signs mating is immentent,if males dont settle ,might need to pull a couple out,but fingers crossed a few other females start giving off phermones so they can spread the load
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 pm

First pic of this thread shows old boy and the young one hanging off the female
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 am

20151018_160554.jpg

Tsk tsk,well i got that wrong,they started mating today and it was all the young persistent male,other two still hung around but old boy didnt seem to fussed and just left them be and checked other ones out

A senod young female also appears to have been mated,found her hiding and shes got shoulder scuffing and her almost ready to shed skins been lifted in shoulder scuffed area

One possability with the young fella to,time will tell is always the chan e hes jumped the gun and gone before females ready,but he went at her all afternoon so doesnt look like thats the case but will watch and see what happens and if older ones take over

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”