Temperature questions
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Canidae
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Temperature questions
Hello! My name is Rebecca and I am going to be getting a tank together to get my very first blue tongue and I have looked into each species on the main page but found very little information on each species humidity needs and also what substrate suits each type ect (maybe I missed it in the care sheet?) and I was wondering if that information is available on here and I'm just missing it! Sorry for the silly question please feel free to remove this if it's in the wrong section and also thank you in advance!!
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Temperature questions
I'm in the process of writing a detailed list of care differences for each species and sub species. Until then, when you decide which species that your going to bring into your home, let us know and we can answer any questions you may have. Either here, or shoot me an email or pm and I can walk you through setting up the tank myself.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
-
Canidae
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Temperature questions
Thank you so much I really appreciate the help! I first need to get my cage it's going to be one of the Zilla critter cages but if anyone else has any other recommendations I would appreciate it! As I have been having a hard time finding the exact one I want (the 36x18x12)
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Temperature questions
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search! How exciting
We appreciate people who take the time to learn before bringing home a new pet.
Your question is in no way silly; never hesitate to ask if you're not finding an answer; we're happy to help. 
As far as temperature goes, you'll be pretty close regardless of what species you get if you just go by the Caresheet recommendation for now; the gigas species can take a slightly warmer basking spot than the Australian species, but that can probably be adjusted if need be once you know what you're getting. Gigas also require higher humidity, which can be a struggle depending on your environment, but if you prepare for a gigas by getting a humidifier, or by raising humidity some other way, but then end up getting a Northern, I figure it's a lot easier to lower humidity in most cases than it is to raise it. And a Northern wouldn't in any way be hurt by high humidity, they just don't tend to develop problems from the lack of it; gigas species are just a lot more susceptible to problems from lack of humidity.
We're happy you've found us, and will be excited to learn what you end up with!
We appreciate people who take the time to learn before bringing home a new pet.
As far as temperature goes, you'll be pretty close regardless of what species you get if you just go by the Caresheet recommendation for now; the gigas species can take a slightly warmer basking spot than the Australian species, but that can probably be adjusted if need be once you know what you're getting. Gigas also require higher humidity, which can be a struggle depending on your environment, but if you prepare for a gigas by getting a humidifier, or by raising humidity some other way, but then end up getting a Northern, I figure it's a lot easier to lower humidity in most cases than it is to raise it. And a Northern wouldn't in any way be hurt by high humidity, they just don't tend to develop problems from the lack of it; gigas species are just a lot more susceptible to problems from lack of humidity.
We're happy you've found us, and will be excited to learn what you end up with!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- alichamp
- Moderator

- Posts: 749
- Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
- Country: Australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Temperature questions
Hi! Over here in the General Discussion FAQ section are a number of threads that I keep going back to read myself, including one about substrate and setting up a tank etc.
Do you know where you will get your new pal from? If you buy from a breeder (there are great ones on this forum! Just head over to the classified section to have a look), you can be sure you are getting one that is truly captive born and bred, nice and healthy and well looked after. You will also know exactly what species it is - there are lots of stories where they are sold one as one species of bts but it turns out to be a different bts species altogether! Just thought Id mention it because you are putting so much thought and planning into what you want
(Here is Aus we have very strict import/export laws so this is less of a problem for us, we just have to look out when we buy for people trying to sell BTS that they are actually captive and haven't been illegally pinched from the wild)
Do you know where you will get your new pal from? If you buy from a breeder (there are great ones on this forum! Just head over to the classified section to have a look), you can be sure you are getting one that is truly captive born and bred, nice and healthy and well looked after. You will also know exactly what species it is - there are lots of stories where they are sold one as one species of bts but it turns out to be a different bts species altogether! Just thought Id mention it because you are putting so much thought and planning into what you want
(Here is Aus we have very strict import/export laws so this is less of a problem for us, we just have to look out when we buy for people trying to sell BTS that they are actually captive and haven't been illegally pinched from the wild)
-
Canidae
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Temperature questions
Thank you so much for the replies and information!!! I appreciate it a lot
so it looks like I'm going to get my cage and lights and small essentials like bowls and thermometers ect first before I decide on a skink and then substrate will come once I've decided! I'm really the most interested in northerns and IJs and will be looking to buy from someone on here whenever the next breeding season comes along! Also I did read that substrate thread you linked and it's helpful and coconut husk seems like a good choice to me but I'm just not sure if they can burrow in it and what would be best for whichever breed I decide? (And how easy it is to clean up messes in lol)
so it looks like I'm going to get my cage and lights and small essentials like bowls and thermometers ect first before I decide on a skink and then substrate will come once I've decided! I'm really the most interested in northerns and IJs and will be looking to buy from someone on here whenever the next breeding season comes along! Also I did read that substrate thread you linked and it's helpful and coconut husk seems like a good choice to me but I'm just not sure if they can burrow in it and what would be best for whichever breed I decide? (And how easy it is to clean up messes in lol)Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 317 guests
