Ecosystem enclosures or reptile runs?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Caudate
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
Ecosystem enclosures or reptile runs?
Just wondering if anyone has tried making enclosures with living plants/mini-ecosystems for their skinks, or if anyone has created open-air enclosures/reptile 'runs' ?
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Ecosystem enclosures or reptile runs?
I thought Rory's were a terrific idea - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24030
And I have a few of these drums myself and use them in the summer to keep our baby chicks, turkeys and ducks safe until they're big enough to join the adults
And I have a few of these drums myself and use them in the summer to keep our baby chicks, turkeys and ducks safe until they're big enough to join the adults
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Ecosystem enclosures or reptile runs?
There are a number of elements that you need to consider:
Aspect - will it get too hot?
Drainage - will it fill with water - particularly during cool weather - skinks can drown. Also need to line with porous materials eg around the edges, mounded towards the middle.
Unclimable walls - steel such as a kids pool surround is good, at least 2ft of height from any point accessible by the bluey, they should be at least 10, if not 15cm into the ground depending on what you are building it over.
Secure top - need to ensure that in particular dogs can't get in. Of lesser concern is cats - but in the US I would be concerned with opossums and other critters- in particular raccoons.
Water is more difficult to make look natural because deep water is not a good idea - most of us revert to deep porcelain cat bowls - which are also easy to clean.
Plants, depending where you are many edible plants eg. strawberries can be grown but I tend to use large clumping grasses which they love and also use to help in shedding. The plants also create a humid environment that helps shedding. etc etc.
Over heating is a killer, so you really need to pay attention to shade, air movement, etc.
Also access - if you can't get in easily then it is hard to clean properly, feed, change water etc which can all affect the care the bluey gets.
Aspect - will it get too hot?
Drainage - will it fill with water - particularly during cool weather - skinks can drown. Also need to line with porous materials eg around the edges, mounded towards the middle.
Unclimable walls - steel such as a kids pool surround is good, at least 2ft of height from any point accessible by the bluey, they should be at least 10, if not 15cm into the ground depending on what you are building it over.
Secure top - need to ensure that in particular dogs can't get in. Of lesser concern is cats - but in the US I would be concerned with opossums and other critters- in particular raccoons.
Water is more difficult to make look natural because deep water is not a good idea - most of us revert to deep porcelain cat bowls - which are also easy to clean.
Plants, depending where you are many edible plants eg. strawberries can be grown but I tend to use large clumping grasses which they love and also use to help in shedding. The plants also create a humid environment that helps shedding. etc etc.
Over heating is a killer, so you really need to pay attention to shade, air movement, etc.
Also access - if you can't get in easily then it is hard to clean properly, feed, change water etc which can all affect the care the bluey gets.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
-
Caudate
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Ecosystem enclosures or reptile runs?
Thanks for the replies you guys! I had actually been thinking of an indoor enclosure since it gets chilly in the northern states where I usually live; but I think the ideas presented could still be applied to the indoors with some finagling.
With plants, I know Scott mentioned strawberries and grasses. Do the skinks eat the grasses? Since I don't have native flora here I just want to make sure what I can plant safely!
With plants, I know Scott mentioned strawberries and grasses. Do the skinks eat the grasses? Since I don't have native flora here I just want to make sure what I can plant safely!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 291 guests
