A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Sebastian
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby Sebastian » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Hey guys. I was thinking about this today while defrosting some dogfood for Abel. One of the things I hate most about wet dog food is that I have to freeze it, that means I usually end up zapping it for a few seconds in the microwave which equals a smell I could really do without in my life.

Anyways, it got me thinking about dry dog food. Has anyone ever considered offering dog food made mushy with water (and then of course veggies and others goodies on top with added minerals)? If it were possible, this would appeal more to me because it would mean I could keep larger quantities of food fresher for longer, with less smell to deal with and an easier to handle food.

Anyways I would love to hear other's thoughts on this. I haven't done it (since the idea only came to me this morning and i'd like more feedback first).

I feed Pedigree Meaty Ground Dinner ontop of shredded carrots, zucchini, acorn squash, butternut squash, lean ground beef, egg, blueberries and added multi-vitamin minerals.

Image

Ingredients (sorry for all caps):
SUFFICIENT WATER FOR PROCESSING, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS, CHICKEN, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, BEEF, LIVER, BREWERS RICE, MINERALS (POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, ADDED COLOR, DRIED YAM, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E, A & D3 SUPPLEMENTS, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN), NATURAL FLAVOR BLEND, ONION POWDER, BAY LEAVES, GARLIC POWDER, SODIUM NITRITE (FOR COLOR RETENTION).


Nutrients
Crude Protein Min. 8.0%
Crude Fat Min. 7.0%
Crude Fiber Max. 1.5%
Moisture Max. 78.0%
Linoleic Acid Min. 0.7%
Vitamin E Min. 25 Iu/kg


( http://www.pedigree.com/really-good-foo ... liver.aspx )

Now comparing that to a all meat (no grains) dry food like EVO Red Meat Formula Dry Dog Food

Image

We get the ingredients:
Beef, Pork Meal, Salmon Meal, Tapioca Starch, Peas, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols a Source of Vitamin E), Beef Fat, Bison, Lamb, Venison, Natural Flavors, Menhaden Oil, Apples, Eggs, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Pumpkin, Tomatoes, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Mineral (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Dried Chicory Root Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamins (Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid), Direct Fed Microbials (Dried Enterococcus faecium, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Dried Lactobacilus), Rosemary Extract


With the following nutrients info:
Crude Protein (Min) 42.0 %
Crude Fat (Min) 22.0 %
Crude Fiber (Max) 2.5 %
Moisture (Max) 10.0 %
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.2 %
Vitamin E (Min) 250.0 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Min) 100.0 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Min) 0.4 %
EPA + DHA (Min) 0.1 %
Carbohydrates NFE (Max) 17.0 %
Total Microorganisms (Min) 900,000.0 CFU/lb


( http://www.naturapet.com/products/1591 )

Anyways would love to hear your thoughts, if for anything, to satisfy curiosity.

Cheers everyone.
0.0.1 Crested Gecko Timey Wimey
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon


Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)


Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
User avatar
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 am
Country:
Location: Buxton, UK

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby mark_w » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:43 am

Hi,

If you search the forum you will find this discussion has been had many times before :D

Some people do this, others feed this food dry. This is no problem if the animals will eat it and they have access to plenty of fresh drinking water.

I offer it to mine, especially babies that are growing on. My experience is that nigrolutea and intermedia will eat it, others won't.

Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
User avatar
Cherbear
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:31 pm
Country: USA
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby Cherbear » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:47 am

I've given mine the dry food I feed to my dog (Taste of the wild GF) before and they ate a few pieces.. They seem to prefer the wet food more and I personally had little luck moistening the dry food. Then again, my skinks can be picky pain in the butts at times.
Cheryl Matula
200+ Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
5.5 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides
0.0.1 Tiliqua sp.
1.1.1 Tilqua nigrolutea
0.1.8 Tiliqua gigas keyensis
1.0.2 Tiliqua gigas gigas

http://www.bluetongueskink.com
http://www.instagram.com/morph_graphics
User avatar
Sebastian
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby Sebastian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:51 am

mark_w wrote:Hi,

If you search the forum you will find this discussion has been had many times before :D

Some people do this, others feed this food dry. This is no problem if the animals will eat it and they have access to plenty of fresh drinking water.

I offer it to mine, especially babies that are growing on. My experience is that nigrolutea and intermedia will eat it, others won't.

Mark.


Oh geez :oops: , I will search for this topic on here. Here I was thinking I was the first to think of it ;) Out of curiosity Mark, what brands do you feed? And do you mind sharing anything you supplement it with? Veggies, fruits, proteins, minerals, etc?
Thanks for sharing as well Cherbear, i'll check out the nutrition/ingredients in Taste of the Wild as I know I can buy it here. We have a local "Raw Food Dog Diet Shop" nearby that also sells high quality, all meat, type dry foods.
0.0.1 Crested Gecko Timey Wimey
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon


Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)


Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby Dakota » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:17 am

When we lived in Tennessee, one of my family members had an outdoor cat (yeah, I know, I don't agree with it, either). But the point is, they'd leave cat food out on the porch for her to eat. When I let my skinks roam outside like I usually do, they learned to go straight over to it and start eating on the kibble. Every single one of them. :lol: I find they like the cat kibble better, but I think that is due to it usually being more meaty smelling. I have thought about switching to dry cat food vs. wet dog food, but I haven't decided.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Sebastian
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby Sebastian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:37 am

I may end up trying it. I'll keep reading all the old threads before making a decision though. Dakota do you think one would need to be as wary of dried cat food as we are meant to be about wet cat food? (Taurines) Cat food certainly is stinkier, i've never even known a dog to choose his food over cat food if both options are available lol.
0.0.1 Crested Gecko Timey Wimey
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon


Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)


Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 am

Hi there! Mine will eat the dry dog food along with dry bearded dragon pellets. I do not moisten them at all.
I leave them this when I am not going to be home for a while and do not want to leave anything that may spoil if uneaten.
No ill effects from leaving it dry, as I have been doing with the beardies for years.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby Susann » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm not Dakota, but
I don't know that we are meant to be weary of wet cat food. We just don't know what the effect of Taurine is on a non feline animal. But to my understanding the amount of Taurine in the dry food would be comparatively equal to the amount in the wet food.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: A Thought: Moistened Dry Dog Food?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 am

The dog/cat food thing always had me wondering about feeding something not formulated for reptiles in general.
But then again, I worry about pesticides and God only knows what is in our food today, whether or not claimed to be organic. Have not had any ill effects, and everyone I know uses it but again, who knows...
I breed my own dubias so I know they are safe , and used to grow all my own vegetables but had to downsize, so I am at the mercy of the supermarket...we can all just do the best we can and hope our animals are as happy as we are to have them. Happy new year all.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 179 guests