Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
sacs4010
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
Country:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby sacs4010 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 pm

I would like everyone's opinion on which cage I should purchase. I love the showcasecages.com enclosure, but they are very expensive. I can purchase a larger 72" Vision enclosure and it would be a lot cheaper then the 60" Showcase enclosure. What do you think everyone?
sacs4010
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
Country:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby sacs4010 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Really? No one has an opinion? *Bump* lol I know you guys must have something to say or suggest on this subject.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 am

Worked with vision cages for a long time. Pretty darn near indestructible, easy to clean, even the glass is super tough. I love them. It's a huge plus that I can drag even the big ones around (empty) on my own, without needing help.

The only thing is honestly they're kinda ugly on the outside, and due to the relatively low lip, you can't put too much bedding in there.

-Jen
I used to be cool.
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby splashy07 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Animal plastics makes some nice cages. Check them out!
User avatar
DianaBlueTongue
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
Country:
Location: Rowland PA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby DianaBlueTongue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:49 pm

I love vision cages, I use quite a few sizes for my bt's and find that the 3ft one is absolutely perfect sized for an adult. Plus they're super lightweight and made to be stacked so its super easy to rearrange them if you need to. Ive never had showcase cages honestly because I think its far too much to spend on one cage. Unless you make a very good living and can afford to blow the extra money but IMHO the only thing you're getting for the extra cash is the name.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Buddha
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:35 pm

I have 2 visions. No issues. Will buy more as I get more skinks. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby JoshChimera » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:55 am

I have visited showcasecages a few times and I agree, they are over priced. Vision cages look nice, I never owned one, I have been browing prices. Honestly I buy my cages second hand and really have had great luck!
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
User avatar
DianaBlueTongue
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
Country:
Location: Rowland PA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby DianaBlueTongue » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:25 am

^^^ me too! I've never bought a new vision cage, have only ever bought them second hand. Although MUCH cheaper then showcase vision cages are still pretty pricey when bought brand new. You can get them for sometimes a third of the original price if you pick them up used. Over the summer I scored a stack of 6 3ft vision cages for JUST over the price I would have paid for just one new.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Buddha
User avatar
jclaiborne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby jclaiborne » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I have my IJ's in vision cages and love them, I wired a light inside so I don't have to use the domes, and I added a 6in barrier on the inside so I can pack in the substrate without it pouring over the low lip and filling the door tracks.
1.0.1 IJs (Bonnie and Clyde)
Romeyrider
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am
Country:
Location: California, USA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Romeyrider » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Will you make a video when your setting it up?
sacs4010
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
Country:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby sacs4010 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Is there a place that makes stands for the vision cages? Yes, I will make a video. lol
sacs4010
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
Country:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby sacs4010 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Anyone?
Romeyrider
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am
Country:
Location: California, USA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Romeyrider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:56 am

You would think Vision would make a stand, if they don't they should start making them. You will just have to find an appropriate sized table.
User avatar
Carnivale
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:03 am
Country:
Location: California, US
Contact:

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Carnivale » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:07 am

I don't have any vision cages from LLLReptile (not sure if they're sold elsewhere), but I do have a Showcase that I recently bought off craigslist secondhand. It's one of the 48"L models, red sand color, plus pretty much everything I needed came with it (heat lamp, flourescent light, heat pad, hides, etc. all for $200. And I have another 48"L front-opening cage made of wood (much heavier, I wouldn't recommend it just due to that) that I got for $150, again from craigslist.

Though obviously your area may or may not have a lot of results when searching for cages, I would say try to buy secondhand if at all possible. You're at least much more likely to find something you like for a lot cheaper than you'd otherwise find.
Image
Snowysmom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 am
Country:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Snowysmom » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:48 am

I am for sure getting either Vision or Showcase. Most likely I will go with Vision though. I am going to call Vision to see if they are going to start carryng stands. What I really need to know from those of you who love these Visions....how is the ventilation and is there enough? I don't see even with the extra vent option how they are well ventilated. Thanks much.
User avatar
SmaugTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Mars

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby SmaugTheBluey » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:32 am

IMO I think building a cage is best, mine could've been nicer/cheaper/bigger but I messed up quite a few times. Compared to a pre-made cage you save at least a 100$ and you can build it to how you want it. Between vision and showcase enclosures I'd say vision because of their simplicity, comparison of price visions are cheaper, and because you can stack them.
User avatar
jclaiborne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 pm
Country:
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby jclaiborne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:55 am

Snowysmom wrote:I am for sure getting either Vision or Showcase. Most likely I will go with Vision though. I am going to call Vision to see if they are going to start carryng stands. What I really need to know from those of you who love these Visions....how is the ventilation and is there enough? I don't see even with the extra vent option how they are well ventilated. Thanks much.



I added two vents on mine. One on each side, on the hot side up top (centered) and down low on the cold side (centered). So I have found with a few little modifications the visions can be awesome for keeping lizards.
1.0.1 IJs (Bonnie and Clyde)
Snowysmom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 am
Country:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Snowysmom » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:03 am

I added two vents on mine. One on each side, on the hot side up top (centered) and down low on the cold side (centered). So I have found with a few little modifications the visions can be awesome for keeping lizards.[/quote]

I agree that those vents are needed. For the price of the Vision you'd think that they would have ventilated them better. Seems like that's a con to me. Thank you.
Snowysmom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 am
Country:
Location: Massachusetts, United States

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Snowysmom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:39 am

Well, the good news is that I found a Showcase Cage for sale, same size I needed (48x24x18). It is on sale for $481 on Showcase and picked it up for $175. It was used for under a year and in pristine condition :D . The woman I bought it from is selling more of them also. Can't wait to get a stand for it and get Snowy in her new permanent home.
User avatar
Carnivale
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:03 am
Country:
Location: California, US
Contact:

Re: Vision VS Showcase Cages Enclosures

Postby Carnivale » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 am

Nice! Congrats on the find! :D
Image

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 307 guests