Enclosure size for baby blue tongue?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ReptileLover567
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Enclosure size for baby blue tongue?

Postby ReptileLover567 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:00 pm

What size enclosure is good for baby Blue tongue skinks? I'm not getting anything under 40 gallons, because I know skinks grow fast and I don't want to have to buy a another tank ( not for a while at least, i'll probably up-size in a couple years). Can an enclosure be too big for a baby? There are some really big tanks (70 gallon, 86 gallon, 112 gallon, and a 170 gallon,) available second hand for pretty cheap. There are also smaller ones just as cheap, I just want to know what a good size is. :)
Blotchedskinks
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Enclosure size for baby blue tongue?

Postby Blotchedskinks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey reptile lover
My baby blotched blue tongue tongue is currently in a 2 ft by 1 ft tank and it fits him perfectly for his size. From what I've heard from others getting enormous tanks for tiny babies can be fine so long as there is plenty of hiding spaces, fake or live plants and other ornaments so they can feel secure and safe in there enclosure. They only problem is it will be a pain getting them out If needed especially if they've got a flighty personality.
Hope this helps. :thumbs: :blah:
NorthEastBlue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby NorthEastBlue » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 pm

http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm

Read the care sheet, buying an enclosure sized for a baby doesnt really work, they grow very fast. Plan ahead early, but gallons dont mean much when it comes to size for a skink, they need the floor space more than the cubic feet, so a 40gal tall is no good.

Jeremy
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:30 pm

I don't think you can go too big, as long as you have enough decor/hides/substrate depth to make your skink feel secure. Remember, blueys need floor space more than they need tank height, so get the tank with the most floor space that you can. If you want a permanent enclosure, anything with floor dimensions 36 (inches or more) by 18 inches (or more) will work.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
ReptileLover567
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptileLover567 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks for the Info! And I always make sure that the tanks are at least 3ft long, 18 inches wide, and at least a foot tall. I've seen plenty of enclosures for sale that are a great price and 4-50 gallons, but are like 2ft long, a foot wide, and 4ft tall, which would be useless for a skink, because they can't climb very well.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:38 pm

For a baby, I prefer them not to brumate in their first year, so a smaller enclosure can help prevent them going into brumation, particularly if you are able to maintain temperatures.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
ReptileLover567
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptileLover567 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Scotts1au wrote:For a baby, I prefer them not to brumate in their first year, so a smaller enclosure can help prevent them going into brumation, particularly if you are able to maintain temperatures.

how else can you prevent brumation? I will be getting a temp gun to help me monitor the temperature of its enclosure. Will that help?
ReptileLover567
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptileLover567 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Would an 40" long 20" wide 25" tall terrarium be too big? It's the only second hand one that opens from the front I can find that's a decent price.
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:11 pm

That sounds like a great size for a baby or an adult.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Eliott-the-lizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tank size

Postby Eliott-the-lizard » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 pm

I just bought a 2 foot by 1 foot tank and was hoping to keep 2 baby blueys in it for a while, Is the tank too small?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 am

I would work on separating them. Many aren't successful trying to cohab and it will be especially risky as the skinks grow and are in tight quarters. And that size enclosure may work for the skink's first few months but both skinks will quickly outgrow it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”