Deformed little Tyke

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Deformed little Tyke

Postby Susann » Fri May 30, 2014 10:56 am

...my kids have all kinds of LOTR or Hobbit names for these ten babies, but so far I've been calling this one Little Tyke...
Be forewarned. It's not gruesome or anything, but the one side of his face is a little heartbreaking.

IMG_4788 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4789 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4792 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4795 - Copy.JPG

bub 2 - Copy.JPG

bub 4 - Copy.JPG

bub 1.JPG

IMG_4790 - Copy.JPG

Tyke.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Deformed little Tyke

Postby Susann » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Some people have been asking me about updates, so I thought I would inform you all that, due to several factors taking me away from home for extended periods of time this summer (one being that my father is very ill and I need to leave the country to go see him), I decided it was in little Tyke's best interest to go to a home where he will receive constant, capable care (alliteration was unintended :wink: ).

Little Tyke --who is now known by the name Gimp-- went through days when I was very hopeful about his prognosis, but also days when I did not think he would survive the night. Prior to sending him off he had done quite well for a few days in a row, which made me able to make the decision to go ahead and give him a better chance in someone else's care.

Gimp seemed to tolerate the shipping ordeal OK and was even improving a bit in his new home, but I will leave it up to the new owner if they wish to make it known that little Gimp is now in their care. The new owners know that they are giving Gimp a much better chance than if he had remained with me, but should he not make it (and I can barely even say that I'm guardedly optimistic), I know it would still be a crushing blow to his owners to lose him.

It has become fairly obvious that little Gimp has some mental/neurological problems along with his cranial deformities, and it remains to be seen how well he will get by as he develops, as it seems that his ability to move may be getting worse.
Gimp's new owners are even less likely to give up on him than I am, so please rest assured that everything will be done to give Gimp every chance he could possibly hope for.
Giving him to the new owners was my way of unselfishly assuring that he gets the best care, and the most love, possible.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm glad you found someone to take this little fellow. It is always challenging to know the right thing to do. Personally I know what I would have done with it, but then I question myself sometimes. It is great to see different perspectives on these sorts of things.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I just found out that little Gimp didn't make it, he just passed away today. :cry:

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”