Bts Breeding
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- SmaugTheBluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Mars
Bts Breeding
Hi I'm still far away from breeding my skinks ( I've just recently purchased my first) but I have a lot of questions and it would help to post all of your opinions, I'm all ears!!! #1.What ages should be bred and not be bred, like how long I should wait until I should start breeding. #2. Is it safe to breed every year or should I alternate, how often if I should? #3. I know something's about ball python morphs and how to breed the traits down but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Blue Tongue Skinks morph breeding like if I have a Carmel Northern and breed it with a Sunset Northern what will come out of the liter? #4. Is their a way to increase litter size from diets? #5. How long should I wait to sell the baby? #6. Pricings for babies. #7. Do I have to let them hibernate/brumate #8. All the basics like anything I should know (I probably forgot some of my own questions to ask). Thanks to all who answers try to answer as much as possible no hurry???
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Bts Breeding
1. For BTS, it's more about size rather than breeding, especially for females, since they have to carry the babies and give birth. Most people wait until the skinks' second season, but some will breed the skinks in their first season if they are large enough.
2. You can give your skinks breaks, but many don't.
3. In the US, most skink traits are not determined by a single gene, meaning they are line bred. Sunset Northerns are just super orange Northerns, there's no single gene that determines their orange color. The same applies to caramel northerns. If you breed a sunset to a caramel, you will probably get babies that show some traits from each parent. I believe Ray's T+ Albino Caramel gene is a recessive trait, but I could be wrong. The other proven genetic traits that are in the US are albino and hypermelanistic easterns, but they are extremely rare.
4. I don't know the answer to this.
5. Many breeders wait about a month to sell their babies. There are always going to be some babies (runts) that need a little more care to get going.
6. Depending on the species, lineage, and coloration, pricing will vary. Northerns usually go for $150-250 each.
7. Depending on the species, you will need to brumate them differently. Northerns require at least a cooldown period of reduced activity.
8. Make sure you are prepared to take care of multiple growing skinks for a few months! It may take a while for you to find homes for them all.
2. You can give your skinks breaks, but many don't.
3. In the US, most skink traits are not determined by a single gene, meaning they are line bred. Sunset Northerns are just super orange Northerns, there's no single gene that determines their orange color. The same applies to caramel northerns. If you breed a sunset to a caramel, you will probably get babies that show some traits from each parent. I believe Ray's T+ Albino Caramel gene is a recessive trait, but I could be wrong. The other proven genetic traits that are in the US are albino and hypermelanistic easterns, but they are extremely rare.
4. I don't know the answer to this.
5. Many breeders wait about a month to sell their babies. There are always going to be some babies (runts) that need a little more care to get going.
6. Depending on the species, lineage, and coloration, pricing will vary. Northerns usually go for $150-250 each.
7. Depending on the species, you will need to brumate them differently. Northerns require at least a cooldown period of reduced activity.
8. Make sure you are prepared to take care of multiple growing skinks for a few months! It may take a while for you to find homes for them all.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Bts Breeding
donkeybuff wrote:8. Make sure you are prepared to take care of multiple growing skinks for a few months! It may take a while for you to find homes for them all.
The only thing I have to add is that you need to be prepared to house all babies separately. Most of the time babies can do OK living together for the first few weeks, but that's not always the case, so be prepared to keep them all in separate set-ups.
It can get extremely costly!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- SmaugTheBluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Mars
Re: Bts Breeding
Thanks for the answers Donkeybuff and Susann, I do have seven 20 gallons tanks currently and there is a few shops that I know will buy Thanks again. More opinions are still welcomed 
- Ray Gurgui
- Rocker of Rock 'n Roll

- Posts: 445
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:01 am
- Country:
- Location: ST. Petersburg FL USA
- Contact:
Re: Bts Breeding
And after they are housed separately, you get to feed them all separately.
Even my Easterns that were born today , are already separate . Last year I had a really bad mishap
after only 6 days being housed together , 8 babies turned into 4 still alive , and only 2 unhurt.
And they were Easterns that never fight, cant say never anymore !
Feeding time today !
I'll show how I house the babies , when there is some daylight tomorrow !
Even my Easterns that were born today , are already separate . Last year I had a really bad mishap
after only 6 days being housed together , 8 babies turned into 4 still alive , and only 2 unhurt.
And they were Easterns that never fight, cant say never anymore !
Feeding time today !
I'll show how I house the babies , when there is some daylight tomorrow !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.thunderbayherps.com
2013
Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
2013
Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
- SmaugTheBluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Mars
Re: Bts Breeding
Thanks ray, that is very unfortunate and I think in honor for those deaths I'll separate them immediately, really thanks I appreciate it 
- Ray Gurgui
- Rocker of Rock 'n Roll

- Posts: 445
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:01 am
- Country:
- Location: ST. Petersburg FL USA
- Contact:
Re: Bts Breeding
It's better safe than sorry !
Baby racks !
Baby racks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.thunderbayherps.com
2013
Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
2013
Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
-
Roarschak11
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 310
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 am
- Country:
- Location: Nebraska US
Re: Bts Breeding
@ Ray
Do you use heat tape for the racks?
Do you use heat tape for the racks?
- Ray Gurgui
- Rocker of Rock 'n Roll

- Posts: 445
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:01 am
- Country:
- Location: ST. Petersburg FL USA
- Contact:
Re: Bts Breeding
They come with Zoo Med "heat cable", 2 x 52 feet long @ 150 watts ea.
www.thunderbayherps.com
2013
Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
2013
Northern 4.11
Caramel Northern 2.4.3
Sunset Northern 1.0
Het Sunset Northern 2.7
Turner Line White Northern 0.4.1
Eastern 10.14.4
Tanimbar 2.3
Iran Jaya 2.4.5
Merueke 1.1
Kei Island 2.5
Alpine Blotched 3.4
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Bts Breeding
Nice baby rack arrangement,ray
I still get gob smacked when i see your feed bowls all lined up like that
I still get gob smacked when i see your feed bowls all lined up like that
- SmaugTheBluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Mars
Re: Bts Breeding
Jeez that's an awesome setup Ray!!!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 228 guests
