Schneiders skink rehab!

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Schneiders skink rehab!

Postby Roarschak11 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Even though this is against my best decision, me and my boyfriend have decided to take home a very emaciated schneiders skink who has, more then likely MBD, among other issues. We are setting up his enclosure tonight. Also, I couldn't find any info on this, but what would be the best method to rehydrate them? (They didn't have water dishes in the pet store...grr) could I force feed him or is that a no go like it is with BTS? I will update with pics tomorro if anyone could help identify any other problems this little one has. I plan to take him to the vet to be certain, I was just seeing if I should look out for anything. Thankyou for any help!!
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Schneiders skink rehab!

Postby Richard.C » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Try a bowl of water first,maybe even misting,place its snout in water and it may just start drinking,force feeding or drinking is quite stressful and best as a last resort

You will be suprised,just poping them into good conditions can often bring about a speedy recovery if they have gone down from neglect,a vet visit could always be of benefit to incase of nasties and compromised immune systems

Looking forward to seeing pics and hopefully with some tlc the little tyke will come good
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:52 am

Thankyou for the advice Richard! I'm at work right now, and I will be picking him up later today, but I noticed on his back legs, it appeared he had no musculature whereas the other appeared swollen? Could that be a possible infection or hopefully just restricted shed or just poor nutrition? Again I'm sorry I don't have pictures yet
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Brought him home! He christened it with an awful smelling poo I'm sure he's been wanting to get rid of for a while now. These are pics of him. The two back legs I mentioned before still confuse me. The swollen one has no retained shed on it, could this be a factor or MBD? Today is lizard takes a warm nap and maybe drinks some water day, and we will see a vet and eat another day :) he is breathing more regularly now as well which is great. He's already acting like a skink haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Should I be worried about him over heating and not going to the cool side because he's too weak
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Was able to get liquids in to him! Used purified well water with a straw and nudged him mouth open and he quickly lapped up as much as he could! He drank a little more from his bowl, then explored his new home a bit then fell back asleep behind the log hide. Good first step I think!
Last edited by Roarschak11 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Postby donkeybuff » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Roarschak11 wrote:putrefied well water

I'm sure you meant purified :lol:
Water is a great first step. Make sure he's nice and hydrated before you attempt to feed, if I'm not mistaken, force feeding is very harmful and can cause some kind of shock if not properly hydrated.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 am

donkeybuff wrote:
Roarschak11 wrote:putrefied well water

I'm sure you meant purified :lol:

:shock: I didn't even notice that! Haha sometimes I hate technology...thankyou for for saying that! I figured that might be a problem but thankyou!
Floof
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Floof » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 pm

OMG! Poor baby. I've never seen such a skinny skink! Makes me want to go hug my Schneiders... Not that they would appreciate it much.

Thank you for saving this poor baby, and best of luck with the rehabilitation! Looking forward to hearing how he progresses. :)
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:26 am

He's actually doing a lot better! We have got quite a bit of water in him and his scales are looking better as well as his eyes, and we are going to try some food soon. Water water water right now. He's also becoming a lot more active, which is awesome to see :D he's plumping up a little bit too, he's not quite as flat and he pooped the other day :) il post pics later
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Is it drinking by itself?

Id probably be leaving some food in there for him to
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:58 pm

We haven't actually seen him drink from his water bowl, but due to his increased activity I'm sure he is. We bathe him once a day and give him water from a straw twice a day, and encourage him to drink from his bowl by placing his mouth in it and beside it. We've been worried about hydration so we havnt been feeding him yet. We are going to start him on waxworms tonight though! :D he's been active so I'm sure he will be interested! Il post pics if he eats!
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Ok,good idea,id probably leave a little bit of dogfood or something in there to,just to see if he may eat some on his own between normal feedings

Hes extremely thin
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:02 pm

He ate!! We fed him two small waxworms and he devoured them! We will feed him more tomorro, but we don't want to explode his little gut so were taking it slow. We saw him drink from his water bowl by himself as well!! He's doing really well from where he was a week ago!! So happy he's been very active as well and looks so much better!
Richard.C wrote:Ok,good idea,id probably leave a little bit of dogfood or something in there to,just to see if he may eat some on his own between normal feedings

Hes extremely thin

I was worried he might gorge himself because he's so hungry. I read that you could harm them by feeding them too much when their starved. Would like a teaspoon be sufficient do you think? Or more maybe? I just don't want to rush his sensitive little organs...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:46 am

Just give a little bit,whilst u dont want him to gorge himself,u want him to atleast eat something,hes getting extremely to skinny to hold off
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 am

Little Schneider is looking so much better! He is fattening up nicely and his spine is becoming less visible! You couldn't really tell before, but now we can tell how gorgeous he is! His colors are beautiful and keep getting more so! I'm thinking he might be a Berber skink though because his orange bands are more like stripes than random splotches of orange. Any opinions? He really likes dog food and greens but is adorable with insects! He thou roughly rubs it on the ground and shakes it to make sure it's dead haha. Oh and we changed his substrate to carpeting. I was worried because he had some sand in his poop and figured it would be bast for skinky.
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK

Postby mark_w » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm glad he is doing better. You'll have to get some new pics! He is definitely a Schneiders. Berbers have black and white markings in among the orange. Personally I like to keep species from arid and semi-arid environments on sand or sand mixtures. I use sand overlaid with beechwood chips or dry cypress for species like gidgee skinks, cunningham's skinks, leopard geckos and wonder geckos.

Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
Floof
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Floof » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 pm

So glad he's improving!! Good thinking to remove the sand, if he seems to be ingesting it. I keep my Schneiders on dry cypress mulch currently, with great success. They do burrow a great deal, so he will benefit from having a burrowable substrate. I like the cypress most of what I've tried so far. I have had no ingestion issues with this, though I'm sure a large part of that is that I feed out of a dish, so they have very little exposure to that risk compared to one that's fed over the substrate or, say, allowed to hunt crickets in its cage.
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 pm

I've been looking up some loamy soil substrates to use for him, but I figured it would be best for his health to not worry about it for now. I will get some better pics of him in tomorro to show how he has improved!!
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 am

Some updated pics of skinky!!

Return to “Other Skink Species”