Tongue color?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Houlee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tongue color?

Postby Houlee » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Why do blue tongues have blue tongues? Does anyone know the scientific or biological reasoning?
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Re: Tongue color?

Postby donkeybuff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 pm

It's for a threat display. When predators come, the skinks display their tongue, hiss, and puff up. In nature, bright colors are associated with poison/venom. This way, when the predator sees the blue tongue, they are a bit deterred and might think twice about messing with a bluey. However, they are not actually dangerous.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:00 pm

The answer lies somewhere in here.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16988
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Houlee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Houlee » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks so much guys! I tried searching through here first but it's hard to know what to search for and it'll come up with every post when you type Blue Tongue haha
My bf asked me and I figured it was display but wasn't sure if maybe it was like a Chow Chow and just have colored tongues even though they don't display them. Or if it was breeding related. That other thread also helped answer my question about what exactly makes the tongue blue(proteins and what not).

Thank you guys again for taking your time :)
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby critterguy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Haemocyanin is not found in reptiles. So that cannot be the reason for the blue pigment.

Actually to think of it their is no blue pigment in most vertebrates. Blue is due to layers of guanine crystals that refract the light in such a way that the animal appears blue(so unlike red/yellows which in many animals will fade without adequate dietary source of carotenoids, blues are unaffected by nutrition).

The blue is interesting because some Tiliqua relatives(Cyclodomorphus) have blue/bluish tongues. Pink-tongued skinks start life with blue tongues and the color fades to pinkish as they grow. And a lot of reptiles have light blue mouth linings. But yes, the blue in any case appears to be used as flash/startle coloration to accentuate the tongue display.

What is interesting is that tongue hue varies among species of Tiliqua and individuals(some forum searching will reveal a thread on this). Pictures I've seen of blotchies and Shingles show tongues very deep blue-almost black in some animals. I have two Northerns and one has a distinctly darker blue tongue-the other has a lighter blue tongue. Indos/Meraukes/IJ's tend to have light blue tongues.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”