New Halmahera
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Jbolar
- Halmaherai Lama

- Posts: 290
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
i prefer the axanthics over most, love that grey scale. austin's tanimbar was satan... the skinks all have personality that he keeps. and it's fun to see all of them. all in all it's good to be home.
0.4.0 Emerald tree boas
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
-
kl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts
Re: New Halmahera
I just may have to take a closer look at the species.
KL
KL
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: New Halmahera
kl wrote:I just may have to take a closer look at the species.
KL
You won't regret it!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- jclaiborne
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: San Diego, CA
Re: New Halmahera
Looks like the little guy that was at the Esco Location...very nice!
1.0.1 IJs (Bonnie and Clyde)
-
kl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts
Re: New Halmahera
Whenever I make a decision on a new species to try and breed, I have to look at 2 things. First, do I like the species and two, am I going to be able compete with the imports. How often is this species imported? I know this is getting slightly off topic so let me stop here and start a new thread.
KL
KL
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: New Halmahera
Right now they are decently common, although last year they were EVERYWHERE. I'm finding them more uncommon than before..
Bushmaster has not imported any lately, but LLL continues to every so often.
Bushmaster has not imported any lately, but LLL continues to every so often.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
kl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts
Re: New Halmahera
I don't think LLL directly imports so they probably are getting them from one of the larger importers located in Ca. such as LA Reptiles or maybe CA Zoological Supply. One of the Halmahera I saw this past weekend was at the LLL table but it was not that nice looking.
KL
KL
- Jbolar
- Halmaherai Lama

- Posts: 290
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
i'd be willing to bet alot of the animals lll has comes from calzoo as far as a wholesalers go. but that's hard to say.
0.4.0 Emerald tree boas
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: New Halmahera
Lol, LLL doesn't import anything at all directly. Blueys come in from the same places they always have, this is about the time of year you see em coming in. We got part of the big group that's here at the breeding center around this time last year.
If that baby came from Oside, I was there earlier this month and checked out the remaining two there. I was 99% certain they were both boys...
If that baby came from Oside, I was there earlier this month and checked out the remaining two there. I was 99% certain they were both boys...
I used to be cool.
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
I double checked, this animal was at the Escondido location. Which I was very impressed with by the way. Very clean with helpful staff. Great place to shop
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: New Halmahera
Valley Reptiles wrote:I double checked, this animal was at the Escondido location. Which I was very impressed with by the way. Very clean with helpful staff. Great place to shop
Yay! Glad to hear it, the guys put a lot of effort into it.
Gonna have to start cherry picking through the blue tongue shipments better, though... I want more girls!
-Jen
I used to be cool.
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
Yeah the place was great, definitely my favorite of the two that we visited. And I wouldn't mind a few more female halms myself
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: New Halmahera
Valley Reptiles wrote:Yeah the place was great, definitely my favorite of the two that we visited. And I wouldn't mind a few more female halms myself
The guys remember you apparently, they say hi and glad they could help!
I used to be cool.
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: New Halmahera
I wonder if it is the same place Riley came from..
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
At 6'8 I guess I'm not easily forgotten hahaha. Tell them I said hi.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: New Halmahera
Dakota wrote:I wonder if it is the same place Riley came from..
No, all online orders get shipped from the main animal location, which is Oceanside. All animals go into Oceanside first, and then are distributed either to the other LLL stores or shipped to fulfill orders.
lol, Valley Reptiles - wow that's tall! Now I know who they were talking about the last time I was in there, too. Everyone assumes I know anyone who comes in asking about blue tongues... although I suppose after this, I guess it's kinda true!
I used to be cool.
- Jbolar
- Halmaherai Lama

- Posts: 290
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
yes the escondido store we went to after menifee was fantastic. was almost tempted to go to the Oceanside location as well, but i guess the manchester show was going on at the same time so i was told alot of animals in oceanside wouldn't be in house. i'd been to oceanside back in 2009 before the store had moved and i remember a small shop very similar to the escondido, crammed with just about everything you can imagine. so i was curious about oceansides new location. i wanted the D alberts python badly but just couldn't managed to get myself to purchase it as i already had purchased an amazon tree boa.
0.4.0 Emerald tree boas
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: New Halmahera
Haha,like big kids in a lolly shop
I could easily spend a day in one of the usa stores,they make ours look like a tiny market stall
I could easily spend a day in one of the usa stores,they make ours look like a tiny market stall
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: New Halmahera
Kim, Halmaheras are pretty much the only skinks that I've been seeing for sale now that aren't Northerns or IJ's.
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: New Halmahera
Richard, that's exactly how it was. James and I spent hours driving to and from nearly every shop in the area. We saw some seriously cool stuff. Including two knob tails that I almost took home. James took photos of everything, with any luck he will post them
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 223 guests
