Off topic question: What age does it take for a male to start dropping sperm plugs?
Eating Substrate
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- The Bearded Derek
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hialeah, Florida
Eating Substrate
Occasionally, he tries eats his substrate yet I don't know why. He's 8 months old I feed him once (About a Tablespoon) every 4 days, sometimes I just give him little treats just to see him happy and eat so he can't eat the substrate because he's hungry. Should I change the substrate? When he tries to eat the substrate, I guess he realizes it's not food and he spits it back out yet he persists trying to. I only seen him swallow it once (Maybe he could have swallowed more when I wasn't looking) but he doesn't seem to have any problems involving his feces. I don't know what to do
(Also, he's in good condition, not too fat or skinny)
Off topic question: What age does it take for a male to start dropping sperm plugs?
Off topic question: What age does it take for a male to start dropping sperm plugs?
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Eating Substrate
Unless I missed it in your post, I don't believe you mentioned what substrate you are using.
One possible theory is that some food may have left particles behind enticing the BTS to eat it.
I imagine others will chime in.
One possible theory is that some food may have left particles behind enticing the BTS to eat it.
I imagine others will chime in.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Eating Substrate
Maxx is around 7 months old, and he dropped a plug AND everted his hemipenes twice in a period of about 2 weeks. He last everted his hemipene yesterday. He is also a Halmahera locale Indonesian. Also, I second the question on what substrate do you use?
A little off-topic, I realize you house him outside as well on your patio, correct? What have you been doing with this cold-spell we are having here in Florida? I take my Meraukes inside when it is 55 or below, but I bring my Halmaheras in when it is 60 or below.
A little off-topic, I realize you house him outside as well on your patio, correct? What have you been doing with this cold-spell we are having here in Florida? I take my Meraukes inside when it is 55 or below, but I bring my Halmaheras in when it is 60 or below.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Seadation
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 442
- Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Miami,Fl
Re: Eating Substrate
Hi glad to see someone else from South Florida on the forum. As others said It would be good if you can let us know the substrate you are currently using also let us know some more about your little guy as what are you feeding him? Is he eating all of his food after you feed him every 4 days? He may still be hungry. Is he over weight? If not try feeding him a larger portion and see if that helps.
Ron
Ron
Ron Couto
http://bluetonguelizards.com
@bluetonguelizards
http://bluetonguelizards.com
@bluetonguelizards
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Eating Substrate
I'm in South-West Florida. 
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Hammock
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 151
- Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am
- Country:
- Location: Tennessee USA
Re: Eating Substrate
Oh ! Gee !, I saw a very well fed one eat fresh poop yesterday..... Must have been thinking about recycling.
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Eating Substrate
Hammock wrote:Oh ! Gee !, I saw a very well fed one eat fresh poop yesterday..... Must have been thinking about recycling.
ROFLOL!!!

Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- The Bearded Derek
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hialeah, Florida
Re: Eating Substrate
Oops sorry, I forgot to mention that he uses Repti-Bark. Since it has been really cold in Florida I just put the heat higher, but either way (I think he's crazy) he goes to the cold side anyway and then just walks back to hot side. I'm in Hialeah, right next to Miami :p
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
- Tom
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 100
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Southern-California
Re: Eating Substrate
What sort of bulbs are you using for heat?
Sometimes the colored bulbs, like red ones, will induce reptiles to start sampling the substrate. I've seen this in monitors, tegus and tortoises. Seems like it could happen in a BTS too.
It can also be due to mineral deficiencies. Sometimes a calcium supplement alone isn't enough. Often when a lot of calcium supplement is used frequently it can cause imbalances with other elements and minerals which can lead to substrate eating. I've had good success using a product called "MinerAll", made by Sticky Tongue Farms. Its a more balanced mineral supplement, not just calcium.
Sometimes the colored bulbs, like red ones, will induce reptiles to start sampling the substrate. I've seen this in monitors, tegus and tortoises. Seems like it could happen in a BTS too.
It can also be due to mineral deficiencies. Sometimes a calcium supplement alone isn't enough. Often when a lot of calcium supplement is used frequently it can cause imbalances with other elements and minerals which can lead to substrate eating. I've had good success using a product called "MinerAll", made by Sticky Tongue Farms. Its a more balanced mineral supplement, not just calcium.
3.0.1 Northerns
- The Bearded Derek
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hialeah, Florida
Re: Eating Substrate
I use a 150 Watt regular heat lamp, the food I give him is a soft chow that contains canned dog food, brown mushrooms, yellow bell pepper, acorn squash, zucchini, and parsnips. I was told not to add calcium since dog food has a lot of calcium already.
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Eating Substrate
The Bearded Derek wrote:I use a 150 Watt regular heat lamp, the food I give him is a soft chow that contains canned dog food, brown mushrooms, yellow bell pepper, acorn squash, zucchini, and parsnips. I was told not to add calcium since dog food has a lot of calcium already.
The amount of calcium or any other vitamin will vary greatly depending on the composition of the food. What brand of dog food are you feeding?
Reptiles need the calcium + D3 supplement. For BTS's this can be achieved by adding a calcium + D3 powder to their diet. A strong UVB bulb will also add D3; however, if the diet contains enough, the UVB bulb is not needed. Calcium must have the D3 in order to properly metabolize it. Otherwise, his/her system may not process enough to prevent MBD. With most (if not all) pet reptiles, adding these supplements is a common practice regardless of diet.
All I feed my NBTS is canned cat food or dog food and add a multivitamin + calcium + D3 powder supplements. I also use a compact UVB as a redundant back-up. He's really healthy with this diet.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Eating Substrate
I would supplement just in case. Unless you oversupplement a crazy amount, the extra calcium will be excreted.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 648 guests
