Books to recommend

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am
Country:
Location: Queensland,Australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby RoryBreaker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm

I have been collecting reptile related books since I started keeping herps. Every author has a different opinion on distribution and classification as well as different specimens in the photographs.

As for husbandry, there is still really only one dedicated book for Tiliqua/Cyclodomorphus. That's why people need to get into the habit of purchasing books to encourage publishers to give the go ahead for new titles.

There is a series of books called "The complete chondro" , "The complete Carpet Python" , " The Complete children's python".....etc. How cool would it be for a "The Complete Blue Tongue Skink" book to come into existence. Happy days for keepers if that was to occur.

paging Justin....
paging Justin.... Hint hint.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Richard.C » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:19 pm

That would be a cool book

I wonder what the avs book on blueys will be like and when its coming out
User avatar
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am
Country:
Location: Queensland,Australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby RoryBreaker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:22 pm

The bluey bible turns 10 years old soon too.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:26 pm

A little over half way through the bluey bible, and all I have to say is WOW.

So much nice (although a lot goes against what the forum recommends) information. Can't wait to read it again.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Richard.C » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:22 pm

Many many ways to do things,the forum is a base to go off if you choose,but not nessacarilly gospel
User avatar
Vengeance
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
Country: Australia
Location: Canberra

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Vengeance » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Dakota wrote:The bluey bible has LOADS of information on T. r. aspera and highland T. nigrolutea.. so if you like those, that's a plus.

Although they do have quite a bit on the rest of the species, still of course.

I think, until I own one I cannot really be a fan of either (well, I can't understand their personalities at least). A Shingleback is on the agenda, but they seem about as rare as Westerns in classifieds. Who knows, I might get lucky at the Sydney Reptile Expo next year, if I can find one and then convince my mother. :roll: Their appearances, especially that of the Goldfields Shingleback is a curious thing. I really do like the patterning of the Blotched Blueys, the alpine form and Tasmanian locale are my favourites. It is fantastic to know there is plenty of information on them should I ever become interested in keeping, if not well there is still a wealth of information to read about them.

Thanks for the update on your progress through the book Dakota, I really can't wait until I get a copy of it for myself. I just need to negotiate for it as a Christmas present or wait a month to get it myself. :lol:

I am looking at getting books on Morelia and Antaresia too, but I wasn't going to ask as this is a Blue Tongue forum not a snake forum. Regardless, thank you for the mention of that series, RoryBreaker. I would certainly buy the "The Complete Blue Tongue Skink" book if one was ever produced!
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah like 15 SOLID pages of T. r. aspera. It has a bunch of pages on Tiliqua gigas as well, but what I found odd, is that they did a WHOLE chapter as just Tiliqua gigas, rather than Tiliqua gigas keyensis, Tiliqua gigas gigas, ect., ect.

It has so many cool facts, like how people put their Asperas in FRIDGERATORS!! And how Lungatas (Centralians) used to be a subspecies of Westerns.. I would definitely consider this the complete book if you ask me. :wink: You never really hear about the care for Westerns and Lungatas much, so it was really interested in reading a bunch of pages about them. Can't wait until I get to the Tiliqua gigas section.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Richard.C » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Dakota back when book was published in german,meraukes were only recently given subspecies recognition,so gigas husbandry in alot of cases doest say what sort in alot of cases

Somr sections dont give a huge amount husbandry wise,eg northerns,tannies ect,others theres a hep more detail,but remember its coming from onlu one or a few people,so others ways to do things to

Great book though,wish they had something similar for egernia type skinks
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Richard.C wrote:Dakota back when book was published in german,meraukes were only recently given subspecies recognition,so gigas husbandry in alot of cases doest say what sort in alot of cases

Somr sections dont give a huge amount husbandry wise,eg northerns,tannies ect,others theres a hep more detail,but remember its coming from onlu one or a few people,so others ways to do things to

Great book though,wish they had something similar for egernia type skinks

Yeah, you could definitely tell that the focus was on the highland nigrolutea and T. r. aspera, but even in the other species that only have like 8 pages or so still have some awesome information.

While I was looking through there was an IJ in there that was found around the Merauke area.. hmmmmmmmm... :chin: OH, and you know that Halmahera debate we had a while back, and you posted that picture (low quality photo lol) of the animal that was found in the Halmahera region, and I said it looked Merauke? Now that I actually get to look at the photograph, it is most definitely a Halmahera locale. If you go back and look at the tail, it is black with tiny silver stripes, while the Meraukes are a light tan color, with darker brown stripes (completely opposite.. kindly how the Easterns have a "reverse" look to the IJ's, you know?). Along with the black striping with some brown in, black feet, and black stripe, ect.. As soon as I seen it I did a major :kw: :doh: :dead: I told Valley I wish I could go back and change that I said Merauke.. :lol:

Okay, back to recommend books.. hehe.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Richard.C » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Haha,wasnt clearest of pics i put up

You will find the halmahera section interesting,well the gigas section to,every time you read it u pick new things up or remember old things again,be cool if they updated it
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Richard.C wrote:Haha,wasnt clearest of pics i put up

You will find the halmahera section interesting,well the gigas section to,every time you read it u pick new things up or remember old things again,be cool if they updated it

I'm super excited.. I only have a couple more species to read through until I get to them. :hyper: Does anyone know IF there is going to be an updated version? I tried to get into contact with Glenn about a month ago, but he didn't seem to contact me back. Maybe he will soon, though. There was a man mentioned that did some studying on the T. gigas, I'll have to contact him perhaps. Surely his mailing address will be listed like the rest of the people that wrote and article.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Richard.C » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:15 am

Yeah if u can find where they study they usually have email addys,google there names and it might pop up
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby El Lobo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Dakota wrote: I tried to get into contact with Glenn about a month ago, but he didn't seem to contact me back. Maybe he will soon, though.


A note on protocol.

I trust I am correct in assuming the Glenn you refer to is Dr. Glenn Shea BVSc (Hons) PhD. Unless you know him personally and have his approval to call him Glenn then you should address him as Dr. Shea; it denotes respect.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:20 pm

To add to what El Lobo said, addressing Dr. Shea as “Glenn” is kind of like addressing President Obama as B-man. Definitely not the way to get taken seriously.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:26 pm

..back to recommended books..
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Yeah, best to ignore useful advice. :roll:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Jeff wrote:Yeah, best to ignore useful advice. :roll:

It wasn't ignored, just do not want to get off-topic on a good thread. :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Books to recommend

Postby El Lobo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:02 pm

If you feel the best way to respond to moderators' advice is by rudeness then maybe you are in need of a sabbatical from the forum. It is very easily arranged.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Does anyone know of any books that may have some information on gigas? I would assume one covering Papuan skinks, would love to know what book as there a bunch out ttherr (from what I remember).

Thanks. :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Vengeance
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
Country: Australia
Location: Canberra

Re: Books to recommend

Postby Vengeance » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Updated first post to include books suggested thus far, thank you everyone!

Dakota wrote:Yeah like 15 SOLID pages of T. r. aspera. It has a bunch of pages on Tiliqua gigas as well, but what I found odd, is that they did a WHOLE chapter as just Tiliqua gigas, rather than Tiliqua gigas keyensis, Tiliqua gigas gigas, ect., ect.

It has so many cool facts, like how people put their Asperas in FRIDGERATORS!! And how Lungatas (Centralians) used to be a subspecies of Westerns.. I would definitely consider this the complete book if you ask me. :wink: You never really hear about the care for Westerns and Lungatas much, so it was really interested in reading a bunch of pages about them. Can't wait until I get to the Tiliqua gigas section.


Interesting information, can't wait to get my copy. :)

Still waiting on my Keeping Blue Tongue Lizards, by Grant Turner book to ship, given Christmas is around the corner I realise the seller might ship slow but I am becoming impatient. :lol:
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 256 guests