Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby donkeybuff » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't pair a female that wasn't at least two, but it's still possible earlier.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Susann » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I agree; just because it's possible doesn't mean it should be done when you have other options.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:40 am

I had another lock from the same pair that's been breeding, but the others aren't being responsive. Based on the boy's behavior, I think I have at least one other female and one other male, and one I'm still unsure of. The male is definitely ready to go, it's just whether or not the females will let him. Giving him a long weekend to recoup and then I'll be cycling him through the other two (hopefully) female skinks. Guess we'll seeeee
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Dakota » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:36 pm

I have decided to not breed Xaunder this year.. haven't even tried since I separated them. I want to see how well I handle Virginia and her bubs before I jump into 2 females being gravid.

And it will give her some more time to mature as well. :D
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Scotts1au » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 pm

As my dad says try for successes cos the failures come all by themselves. In other words - no point putting all the eggs in one basket.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby donkeybuff » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Scotts1au wrote:As my dad says try for successes cos the failures come all by themselves. In other words - no point putting all the eggs in one basket.

Xaunder is only one year old though. I think it would be better to only breed Virginia.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:21 am

Reptiles tend to become suitable for breeding after reaching a certain size rather than age.
IMO it would be fine to breed Xaunder.
Whether or not your going to is up to you.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Susann » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah, but I've actually seen her size; granted, it was on video-cam, but still. I think waiting to concentrate your first effort on one grown female is a rather mature and responsible choice, especially since we are talking a first time breeder with no ability to provide veterinary care for one, let alone many, animals. My biggest fear would be a female who is unable to birth her young due to her small size, and not being in a position to do everything possible to save the mother and the young. An exam with x-rays is a couple hundred $$$ where I live, I can only imagine what an emergency surgery would run.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:40 pm

That is fair enough. Sorry if I missed something but how do you know it's sex if only 1 year old?

I agree with the statements on size, not so much on age, but one normally related to the other when it comes to breeding readiness.

Also from a breeding perspective - I'm sure that others will have had the same experience is that the best breeding (most consistent) females tend to be those who can put on and hold weight. Runty females, or those with more androgynous features tend to be more intermittent and often not get a good response from males. I believe this has to do with emitting hormones (and those acting as pheromones) signaling readiness to mate.

There are some interesting articles floating around Uni of Tasmania who studied these aspects in Blotchies. I'm assuming that the brumation, weight, waking, readiness to mate relationship is a lot more easily defined in them, but I'm sure that some of the learnings hold true for other species to one degree or another. I have a feeling that you guys are starting to crack the code.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
stpkellogg
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 am
Country:
Location: United States

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby stpkellogg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:43 pm

ImageImage[url=http:[URL=http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/stpkellogg/media/2AE9FF10-4EEF-4D41-BF05-CE88083E52BB-2252-000002CFD1F8F901_zps7b1b7142.jpg.html]Image[/url]ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Scotts1au wrote:That is fair enough. Sorry if I missed something but how do you know it's sex if only 1 year old?

I know the sex because of how my males act towards her, London tried to mount her 2-3 times. She is a healthy weight, so she would show a hemipenal bulge, in which she does not. She has not dropped a plug either, and I noticed all my males have dropped them (and I have had Xaunder the longest). She is a female, there is no question about that.. and I'm not sure how that is even relevant to the debate, either. :noknow:

donkeybuff wrote:Xaunder is only one year old though. I think it would be better to only breed Virginia.

Yeah, I have decided completely not to breed her this year. Not because of age, per sé, just want to make sure I don't get too far over my head.. I want my first season to be light, then start building up to 20+ females being gravid every year as the years go by.

And she is 22" right now.

------
Quick question, when does ovulation usually occur after matings on average? I noticed when I was feeding Virginia she was HUGE.. belly bulging out tremendously. Any other sign of ovulation other than swelling?
------
Beautiful pair Stephanie! You wouldn't want to sell them would you? :wink: I kid. I wish you luck with the babies, I hope you get some.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Dakota wrote:
Scotts1au wrote:That is fair enough. Sorry if I missed something but how do you know it's sex if only 1 year old?

I know the sex because of how my males act towards her, London tried to mount her 2-3 times. She is a healthy weight, so she would show a hemipenal bulge, in which she does not. She has not dropped a plug either, and I noticed all my males have dropped them (and I have had Xaunder the longest). She is a female, there is no question about that.. and I'm not sure how that is even relevant to the debate, either. :noknow:


Just so you know, none of that guarantees that she is a female. She may very well be, but Just ask Ray about males mounting males. It's not that uncommon. I have never seen plugs from MOST of my proven males, and hemipenal bulges are definitely not obvious on all males. I am not arguing with you about the gender, just pointing out that you should not assume you know for sure yet. Wait until babies or slugs come out of her cloaca. That is when you will truly know unless you see plugs.

Also, Scott never implied that his question was relevant to the "debate". He was just curious about how you knew the sex. After reading your response, I would suggest that you really don't yet.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Jeff wrote:After reading your response, I would suggest that you really don't yet.

There is no reason to judge my judgment on whether or not how I think she is a female. I am the only one that has seen her in person, and Susann has seen her on webcam. That's it. If the male was horny enough to mount a male, he would have mounted with the other confirmed males, not fight with them.

Her body characteristics are all obvious female characteristics, behavioral sexing all came out to be female, and she lived with one of my most aggressive male (to only other males) for 2-3 months with no fighting, and she lived with her brother until around May since birth. If she were male, she would have been swelled like the rest of the males down that area, but no. And I watch my skinks 24/7, I keep them outside where I can see them, but they can't see me. That is how I seen all my males drop plugs. Hmmmmm.. must be male, right?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby donkeybuff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:01 pm

20+ females? I thought only Ray was capable of something like that! Good luck, you're going to need it!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:03 pm

donkeybuff wrote:20+ females? I thought only Ray was capable of something like that! Good luck, you're going to need it!

Yep, that's my goal. :D All gigas, too.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:01 pm

I am only judging the evidence you gave. None of it is enough to confirm a female. Eventually you will have enough experience to know that. Until then, feel free to believe whatever you want to. I was just trying to help you understand that the things you feel GUARANTEE that you have a female, do not. It’s just knowledge from someone with a little more experience than you. Take it or leave it. :roll:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Dakota » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Nothing will "confirm" she is a female, until she gives birth, technically.

And yes, I do appreciate your expertise.. just can't let you know that. :wink:
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 pm

I appreciate that Dakota, but I don’t claim to be an expert. I have just learned some things over the years. I agree that it is virtually impossible to confirm a female until she gives birth, but I’m not busting your b@lls because of that. I’m just trying to tell you to remember that there is at least a small possibility that your presumed female is not female until she actually gives birth. I’m not saying your belief about her being female is wrong, just that you shouldn’t believe it 100% yet.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Bluish » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 am

I'm finding the Meraukes are pretty easy to sex at this time of year even as juveniles, but Jeff is right there is always the odd animal that will throw a curve ball. I once had 3 Mangrove Monitors that I was sure were 2.1. The 2 small males interacted for dominance and made weak attempts to mount the larger "female" who just ignored them by perching on a branch. This went on for a few weeks. Then I added a confirmed female (had laid eggs). All of a sudden my first "female" immediately started courting and mounting the new female and asserted himself as the dominant male in the group. It was a bit of a shock at the time.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Postby Richard.C » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:51 am

Haha,monitors are one of the worst culprits for that,ive even had females try mating males ,and wrestling with males,there oddballs like that

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 201 guests