Blind Shingleback

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: Blind Shingleback

Postby Dakota » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 pm

I also had this problem with my Halmahera locale Indonesian. It slowly kept swelling until the substrate dried it out, and he couldn't open it. I gave a humid hide, applied olive oil on this head (which I think made him shed quickly), and as soon as he shed, his eye opened like nothing ever happened. Considering Shinglebacks have thick sheds (from what I seen) it could possible be that. When was the last time he shed? I also used a wet q-tip for the eye and it slightly came open.. until he shed.

No saying it is that, just telling you my experience with something similar.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:53 pm

can't say I see an oesteoderm issue here although looking at photos on my phone.

Probably just a simple ri case here. Warmth, food, if it will eat, low humidity environment, antibiotics as supportive therapy, not much more to it. Moisten the eyes to keep them open - they are welded shut from exudates resulting from infection, but u have to treat the underlying problem as Richard has described, not the symptoms. Hope it goes well, looking forward to seeing -" after" photos.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:15 am

Yeah im on fone to,scales seem fine for me,its just a veru light aspera,ill go find that number for u now
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 am

Bluei,i pmed i the details for the karingal vet

Let us know how he goes
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Sorry, I was also on the phone and the light colour gave the impression of exposed osteoderms. Now on the iPad I see the colour made that deceptively so, but it's not actually the osteoderms exposed. Apologies. I'd still be inclined to use a daily emu oil cream to help with his next shed.

The lumpy appearance of the scales is still indicative of a long term undernourishment, not necessarily weight wise, but lacking in elemental nutrition, such as calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. Introducing these as supplements would be a wise idea to improve his overall health.

Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:56 am

Hmm, now I'm obsessed with the osteoderms! I zoomed right in and blew the pictures up. They aren't exposed, but the layer of keratin covering them looks thin and fragile. It's something that will improve over time though, with good nutrition. Sorry for my fixation, I'd just hate for the scales to split and expose the osteoderm, as this would be a painful experience for your shingleback.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”