Substrate question
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
JeffC
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Pennsylvania
Substrate question
I just had a quick question about substrate if anyone could help out. I am using repti bark right now. I know someone who had a rabbit that passed away, they have a big bag of aspen bedding left over. She said that I could have it if I wanted, so basically I was wondering if its ok to use rabbit aspen bedding for my blue tongue? I'm not sure what the difference is between that and the reptile aspen, I just wanted to see if it was safe to use before I use it.
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Substrate question
I know Aspen bedding in general is good, not sure if the rabbit one would make a difference..
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Substrate question
I have seen both and the one sold for small mammals was quite a bit dustier and had smaller bits in it than the type sold specifically for reptiles.
Other than that they were the same.
I'd use it but would try and shake out the dust and smallest bits by tossing small batches of the bedding outside in a sheet.
Other than that they were the same.
I'd use it but would try and shake out the dust and smallest bits by tossing small batches of the bedding outside in a sheet.
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Substrate question
The small animal/rabbit one is the one I use, and it is actually better for skinks than the reptile one. The reptile one has smaller pieces and more splintery bits, so it gets caught in blueys' noses and eyes more often than the rabbit one.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Substrate question
Since we are question substrates, has anyone here used some sort of dirt/potting soil? If so, what type/brand is recommended? I'd love to switch from the aspen to something more natural looking.
THanks!
THanks!
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Substrate question
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24258&hilit=soil
There's some good info about soil in there. My only personal experience with any soil-like substrate is with eco-earth, but I found it too dusty for my liking.
There's some good info about soil in there. My only personal experience with any soil-like substrate is with eco-earth, but I found it too dusty for my liking.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
-
JeffC
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Substrate question
Thanks for the responses everyone.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Substrate question
Small animal aspen is better than reptile aspen in my opinion.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Substrate question
Jeff wrote:Small animal aspen is better than reptile aspen in my opinion.
I agree. I wouldn't want my BTS on the smaller aspen bits I use for my corn snake. However, you gotta wonder how these guys survive in the wild with all the variety of sized items they could accidentally ingest.
I may have to try either the eco-earth or the plantation soil in place of the aspen shavings. The shavings may work for easier cleaning; but, I'd rather provide a presentable habitat and one that looks much more natural.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Substrate question
I use finely shredded made for various animals as said on the bag, and it works fine.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Substrate question
IMO, I think most any substrate can be used -provided it works in favor of the animal- as long as the owner takes the required precautions to prevent the animal from ingesting the substrate. For example, with my corn snake. I use the aspen bedding designed for snakes and he loves it for the burrowing capabilities. I'd image a BTS would like it, too. I personally think it looks much better than the large shredded aspen bedding. However, almost anytime I feed my snake, he ingests a small bit of the bedding because it sticks to everything. I've got to be careful where I place a thawed mouse; otherwise, it gets "breaded" by the bedding. Additionally, since the bits are so small, he has no problem digesting them along with the rodents.
I dunno, maybe the snake aspen bedding would be a good choice. Smaller pieces would make it easier for the BTS to digest then if it tried swallowing a much larger piece. Hmmm....
I dunno, maybe the snake aspen bedding would be a good choice. Smaller pieces would make it easier for the BTS to digest then if it tried swallowing a much larger piece. Hmmm....
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Substrate question
Smaller pieces tend to get stuck in their nostrils and irritate their eyes.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- TJreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 381
- Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 am
- Your Facebook name: Tristan Dudder
- Country:
- Location: Ca
Re: Substrate question
Do any of you use "no" substrate? By that I mean like carpet or news paper?also do they seem to like it?
2.1.4 Northern's
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Substrate question
Some people do, but I would never do that.. unless in quarantine or something.. they are semi-burial animals.. like putting a worm on newspaper or something. 
If you give lots of hides, it can be done with no stress(..?), though.
If you give lots of hides, it can be done with no stress(..?), though.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- TJreptiles
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 381
- Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 am
- Your Facebook name: Tristan Dudder
- Country:
- Location: Ca
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Substrate question
Some very experienced breeders keep their skinks on carpet or paper. I keep my females on carpet for at least a couple months a year when they are giving birth. It has advantages and disadvantages like just about everything else.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
mzelinger
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
Re: Substrate question
Hello. I just got my first BTS this past Saturday. So excited!!! I also have a question about substrate. It seems most people are in favor of using the Aspen Shavings as a substrate. I bought the one that says "Small Pet Bedding" by KAYTEE. Is this the right one? I want to make sure it's not the one used for rabbits as I've read that one has small pieces and it can hurt the BTS. It seems like the "Small Pet Bedding" one has small pieces too. Please see the picture of the bag in the attachment. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Substrate question
Rabbits are included in "Small Pets", so Small pet bedding is the same as rabbit bedding. The one you have is the correct one; it is the reptile one that you are not supposed to use.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Substrate question
This is what I use:
Made for:
And has never caused me any problems in the years of me using it. Pros and cons to everything.
Made for:
And has never caused me any problems in the years of me using it. Pros and cons to everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Substrate question
Wernt you using carefresh up until recently?
Or do u mean in dog years
Or do u mean in dog years
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 182 guests
