Help With PTS - Post Vet Update

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Help With PTS - Post Vet Update

Postby Coomassie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi guys, I got a really terrifying phone call this evening. Bandit, my PTS, is very suddenly not doing well. He is lethargic and not really able to support himself. His limbs and tail respond to touching but he is moving pretty erratically and not able to really get anywhere. He is on cypress with a gradient from about 85 to 75. He doesn't have a direct light on him. His enclosure has been sitting around 80 degrees or so for the past couple of days as the temperature has been dropping. We just turned his heat mat up. I saw him this past weekend and he was fine. He ate dogfood with collard greens and a bell pepper (same food I feed Coomassie) this past weekend. He didn't eat any more on Wednesday when I provided more food. My husband went to check on him this evening and he was lethargic. I tried to feed him a little and he bit the spoon but didn't really take any food. He sort of rolled around. Our normal vet is on vacation and the other exotic vet isn't in until tomorrow. Even then, I don't think they have ever seen a PTS. I'm hoping for some advice about what to do tonight and what to talk to the vet about tomorrow since they probably haven't seen a PTS before. Thanks.
Last edited by Coomassie on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cay T.
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Help With PTS

Postby Toria Dawn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:15 am

I just saw a vet for the first time w my bts and he researched. He had documents printed out for me, most of which I knew but he went and researched it himself. Can the vet available to you look into what he is dealing w first? I mean, vets usually are very educated, if he can research something first he might be able to give you some insight we can't. My only other totally inexperienced thought is could your babe be sensing colder temps and be brumating or hibernating?
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Re: Help With PTS

Postby Coomassie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:21 am

So we went to the emergency vet last night. I didn't update last night because we didn't get home until midnight. The vet was not an exotic vet but she was very nice. We decided to do an xray to determine if there was loss of bone mass to establish MBD. The good news is he has excellent bone density. The bad news is he ate a bunch of substrate and has a partial impaction. When I got home last night, I cleaned out his enclosure. No more cypress for the little guy. He is on paper towels for now and I'm sure he feels pretty awful. We did a vitamin injection and we have oral calcium for him (just in case) as well as subcutaneous fluids. I'm including the xray because I got a picture of it and I thought other people would like to see it. The vet said he should be able to pass it on his own but we will be turning up his heat and soaking him to help it through. I think I'm also going to try to get him to eat a couple of bites of banana or egg to try and clear his system. If anyone has any other advice for helping him, I'm open to any and all suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cay T.
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Help With PTS - Post Vet Update

Postby Toria Dawn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Poor guy! I'm glad the vet was able to help!
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:59 am

keep us updated on how he goes

pink tongues like a milder warmth than tiliqua,whilst a earm spots still advised they like to be able to escape warmth as well

one of the more heat sensitive types of skink

fingers crossed for the little guy
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:17 am

Good news! He finally pooed and is looking much better. He is in shed right now but I will be calling the vet's office this morning to make a follow up appointment.

Richard, I usually have the warm end at 85 but we bumped it up to 90 to try to get things moving. His cool end is consistently in the low 70's (which is where he spends most of his time). He did bask quite a bit until he pooed yesterday. After the vet, we will turn the heat back down assuming he has passed the blockage.
Cay T.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm

low ends fine,i thought u meant whole cage was in the 80S or had cooled to that

glad hes doing better,hopefully vet gives the all clear
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist

Postby Coomassie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:06 am

So, we had a follow up with the vet last night. Bandit has now pooed 3 times (once on the vet last night) and he has the all clear. He is back on substrate and back to his normal ornery self. We are supposed to keep an eye on his calcium and vitamin levels but other than that, he is good to go!
Cay T.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:01 am

good to hear
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Yay Bandit! Very glad to hear he's doing well. WTG being an awesome skink-parents :thumbs:

Return to “Other Skink Species”