Crusty Eyes

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Shellw6
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Crusty Eyes

Postby Shellw6 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum!

I recently adopted a BTS, went to buy a crested gecko but after seeing the state this little guy was in I took him AND the gecko due o their poor livoing arrangments and general health. Otto (BTS) iss missing all of his toes but one, had a ton of stuck shed, and his eyes have crusted right over. He is also quite skinny, but eats well. Everything I put in front of him he gobbles up! he was on shavings, but because of his eyes I have him in towels and what not as I really dont want to irritate his eyes any more than they already are.

With the state the crested was in (maybe 6 months old in a cage with a dead scorpian!) I dont think they were fed much at all, pretty much forgotten about and obviously abused. I am taking Otto to the vet next payday and am wondering if anyone on here can give me some tips to help him with his eyes and what not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Shelly. :)
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Re: Crusty Eyes

Postby Katrina » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Shelly - welcome!

If you do a search, there are a few other threads on these kind of issues. I've sound lukewarm baths and then gently wiping the eyes with a damp cloth helps as well as a product called 'tear gel' (availably in any pharmacy) or just contact lens solution to get the eyes cleaned. Unfortunately I've found that often these issues are recurring - they clear up wonderfully with a shed but as it gets closer to the next shed they come back again. It seems to happen sometimes in T. gigas (Indonesian) species - I have one that has this issue and no amount of vet care could fix the problem, so I just deal with the eyes as best I can and he seems to live an otherwise good life. Good luck! :D
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 pm

In my opinion: due to the horrible state they were in, I would go to a vet for a faeces exam.
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 am

Welcome to the forum! I moved your thread to the GEneral discussion forum as the advanced forum is for just that advanced topics. If you want to discuss what bacteria, virus, etc is causing the issues, please feel free to make a new topic. :)

Good luck at the vet appt!
Brad
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby UroFreak13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:20 am

I got mine in a similar situation as yours. Sadly he paeed away so get him to a vet. In the mean time a bath in some warm water and maybe a drop of olive oil can help his stuck shed. As for the eyes, put a lid on whatever your bathing him in, make sure there is a few holes, the steam helps temporairily clear the eyes.
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 pm

How is the BTS doing?
Greetings
Kenn

and some other exotics
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby UroFreak13 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 am

Mine or the op's haha
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kenn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:53 am

UroFreak13 wrote:Mine or the op's haha

Bts of topic starter ;)
Greetings
Kenn

and some other exotics
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby UroFreak13 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 am

Hahah i no im just joking around
Shellw6
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shellw6 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 am

Hey guys! Sorry for not posting Ive been super busy with both my jobs. I have a vet appointment set for this coming tuesday, his eyes are still pretty bad but he is still eating great. luckily I work at an organic foods store so I am able to get him really good fresh veggies and meats. I have been giving him bathes every other day and cleaning his tank as much as possible to keep it clean so I dont make things worse. Hes such a sweet little guy I really hope after the vet trip he will be okay!!
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan

Postby Spindown » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 pm

OP, I wish you the best of luck with the vet trip, please keep us posted on how he is.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
raredesign
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby raredesign » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Certainly do the warm baths, but I have also used mineral oil and aquaphor.
If anything does look infected I have safely used antibiotic ointment but was told NEVER use the version that says PLUS as it contains something that is often toxic to herps. I haven't verified this but sounded emphatic enough to me.
ashnic05
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ashnic05 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 pm

My bts just got over this (like 10 days ago) and I ended up taking him to the vet who prescribed eye drops and some oral meds to clear things up. He still has some red irritation but the crustiness is gone! I'm continuing use of his eye drops until his eyes clear completely up, and keeping his cage extra clean. Like others have suggested, baths helped my guy quite a lot, as well as keeping the humidity up. Good luck, I hope he pulls through and makes a great recovery.
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:50 am

It's thread is very old, so it will be locked. If anyone wishes to discuss the issues raised in this thread, please start a new topic.

Lea
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”