The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:05 am

I absolutely agree that barometric pressure is a big deal with Meraukes. Here is Arizona we are just ending our monsoon season, but everyday when it rained the skinks would come out and roam around. It was interesting to watch
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby critterguy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:23 am

How do you plan on cleaning this enclosure? You could get even more usable space if you have access to lot of manzanita. I could see a tangle of it creating an overhang which you then fill with smaller bark chips etc. and put some sturdy plants into. A small ficus tree or palm seedlings would probably be appropriate.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 am

I do have access to tons of manzanita. Cage cleaning shouldn't be too much of a pain since I can climb in there. I had planned to add more branches, but I'm thinking it will look too crowded. Im not sure, but I think palm and ficus are toxic. I'll have to look into it though.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
Merriann
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 am
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Merriann » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:53 am

Wow! Great cage-- you don't appreciate how big it is until you see the pictures with Jazz in there! He looks like he is having a blast!
User avatar
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Toria Dawn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:14 pm

That is an incredible cage!! Roy and I are suuuuper jealous! It looks so well set up!!!!
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks guys. Its definitely my favorite enclosure at the moment.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Dakota » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Make it 2 stories!!!!!!!! :lol:
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Richard.C » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:38 pm

and add some hot tubs susann style,lol

merauke taj mahal
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Haha I can't afford hot tubs for mine sadly. Poor jazz will have to just accept that my enclosures can't be as fancy as Susanns :(
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Susann » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Valley Reptiles wrote:Poor jazz will have to just accept that my enclosures can't be as fancy as Susanns :(
Oh, I don't know about that; even without the hot tub yours might very well have surpassed mine! Ask Jazz. :wink:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 pm

I would, but she's not speaking to me anymore now that she realized there isn't a hidden hot tub in that stupid giant tank
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Susann » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I doubt it, I can see that ear-to-ear grin on her face! She'd be forming a conga line in there if she has some skinks to join in with her. :lol:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 pm

I've seen how they behave when you put them in the same bucket.. something tells me a conga line is the opposite of what would be going on if I tossed a few more in there :lol:
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Susann » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Naah, it's about that time of year that if you make one of them a male, conga might very well ensue....
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:20 pm

I know, I noticed a serious increase in their activity about a week ago. Right after it stopped raining frequently. I started pairing them then to see if I could get the genders figured out. It has been BRUTAL. No injuries yet, but that's only because I've been really careful
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Susann » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm afraid it could mean that you have a lot of boys... I HOPE not, but it could.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm

From a weeks worth of pairings I'm fairly sure that I have Two girls. Jazz & #5. The jury is still out on 3, but I know that 2 and 5 are male
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Do you notice an increase in activity in yours in the cold season? Wandering? It looks like they are searching for something
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Susann » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:38 pm

No, I haven't seen anything like that.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: The most spoiled Merauke in the world

Postby Scincoides » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Maybe they are just begging for more food. I recently cut them down to twice a week feeding because they all looked like centralians
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests