Ben Siegel's albinos
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Ben Siegel's albinos
Ben posted a pic of his albino eastern bluey today. Apparently he got a breeding pair and expects to breed them this season...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Good thing they aren't mixing them...
- Seadation
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 442
- Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Miami,Fl
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Beautiful! I wonder how much the babies will cost.
Ron Couto
http://bluetonguelizards.com
@bluetonguelizards
http://bluetonguelizards.com
@bluetonguelizards
-
Bluish
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 370
- Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Good thing they aren't mixing them...
Yet.
Dom
2.6 Meraukes
2.6 Meraukes
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Bluish wrote:xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Good thing they aren't mixing them...
Yet.
Good call.
And you can still use the male multiple times, and being Ball Python breeders they'll probably want hets...
-
bluetonguerocks
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 263
- Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:50 pm
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
wow he/she looks amazing!
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Is he still maintaining that they are Indonesian imports, or has he accepted that they are easterns?
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Last I heard, they are still "wild caught Indonesians"
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
If done right, this will be one of the best reptile breeding projects in the US. I really hope he doesn't ruin this.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Although Ben Siegel is a highly respected breeder in the US, I don't think he will refrain from breeding these to normal indos to create hets. If his only albino pairing was albino x albino, the rate at which they reproduce would likely not satisfy either him or the monetary demands of his company. That being said, I still hope that their bloodlines stay pure!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
These were most likely illegally imported, so maintaining that they are w.c. imports doesn't surprise me. But will it stop him from breeding with an indo? Probably not.
My only hope is that the albinos won't breed with Indos. Indo's seem to be difficult to breed in the US-hopefully even harder if you try it with a different type of bluey!
I'd love to see one of the albino offspring bred with some of the hypo easterns produced by Ray.
My only hope is that the albinos won't breed with Indos. Indo's seem to be difficult to breed in the US-hopefully even harder if you try it with a different type of bluey!
I'd love to see one of the albino offspring bred with some of the hypo easterns produced by Ray.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Wouldn't the albino-hypos just look like albinos? Since the hypos are hypomelanistic, and the albinos are technically amelanistic (they still have xanthin and erythrin), wouldn't the affected melanin content in the hypos just be cancelled out by the total lack of melanin? I guess some of Ray's hypos with the really nice yellow may have extra xanthin, so maybe the amel-hypos would be hyperxanthic amelanistics? (I'm pretty sure hyperxanthic isn't the right word
)
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
I'm figuring that between the decreased libido in the albino eastern bloodline, the difficulty of getting Indos to breed incaptivity, and the fact that the two species ccycle and breed at different times of year, that we shouldn't have to deal with info hybrids. Eastern x IJ and eastern x northern are distinct possibilities though. I'd love to get my hands on an albino or two, I have two of Rays hypo easterns and that's the first thing I'd use an albino on
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
ruined already if still claiming there indos,there as indo as i am
keeping them pure eastern would be financially more rewarding,putting them over anything is just about making money fast
keeping them pure eastern would be financially more rewarding,putting them over anything is just about making money fast
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
easterns can be manipulated to coincide with tropical species cycles
im not sure why you would bother putting them over anything but other easterns
im not sure why you would bother putting them over anything but other easterns
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
donkeybuff wrote:Wouldn't the albino-hypos just look like albinos? Since the hypos are hypomelanistic, and the albinos are technically amelanistic (they still have xanthin and erythrin), wouldn't the affected melanin content in the hypos just be cancelled out by the total lack of melanin? I guess some of Ray's hypos with the really nice yellow may have extra xanthin, so maybe the amel-hypos would be hyperxanthic amelanistics? (I'm pretty sure hyperxanthic isn't the right word)
I'm not entirely sure but maybe a hypo het albino? Or a normal double het hypo het albino? Maybe all albinos? Or a hypo'er hypo (lesser? Lucy?)... I honestly have no clue. I know lots of people are anti bluey morph, but I'd love to get an albino in someone on this forum's hands before someone ruins this by cross breeding...
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
The albino-hypo would look like a paler albino, probably a nice yellow and white animal. I think. And Richard I could not agree more.
As far as being anti bluey morphs goes, I firmly believe that the wild type bluey of any species is perfect, but what's the harm in morphs as long as the species are kept pure? And provided things don't get out of control like they have with leopard geckos. I haven't seen a Leo that I considered a normal "wild type" Leo in a while.
As far as being anti bluey morphs goes, I firmly believe that the wild type bluey of any species is perfect, but what's the harm in morphs as long as the species are kept pure? And provided things don't get out of control like they have with leopard geckos. I haven't seen a Leo that I considered a normal "wild type" Leo in a while.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Is he saying that these are Tiliqua gigas gigas?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Ben Siegel's albinos
Valley Reptiles wrote:The albino-hypo would look like a paler albino, probably a nice yellow and white animal. I think. And Richard I could not agree more.
As far as being anti bluey morphs goes, I firmly believe that the wild type bluey of any species is perfect, but what's the harm in morphs as long as the species are kept pure? And provided things don't get out of control like they have with leopard geckos. I haven't seen a Leo that I considered a normal "wild type" Leo in a while.
A paler albino would be very cool!
That's how I feel about morphs. The low birth rate per pair and the fact that they only breed once/year should keep the morphs from getting out of control...
It's sad what happened to Leo's. I had a normal Leo growing up and I haven't seen anything like it in forever!
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 225 guests
