gidgee skinks

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Re: gidgee skinks

Postby Scotts1au » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Funny that I've seen pairs for sale with offspring with the adults lucky to be 20cm in length, probably smaller. Wondering if they are just forms from diferent locales.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:52 pm

I like the larger ones. I've seen them over 12 inches long from Phil tremper but mine never seem to grow much beyond 8 inches.

Kim
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

I hope Jason doesn't mind me talking about his gidgees, because DANG those guys are cool! I was lucky enough to get to go check on them today because Jason is out of town. They are ridiculous lizards. I will definitely keep some as soon as I have enough room.

I wish I had something with me to measure those guys, but the big ones are REALLY big. I won't even mention the cataphractus and Tiliqua that Jason keeps. It's a real treat every time I get to see those animals.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm

your asperas look similar sized to my oldline,small asperas,though my oldline seem to top out at 35cm and are quite light in weight compared to some of the bombassa forms found more inland

Theres a few forms of gidgees,they have a large range

svl is up there with cunninghams,they just have short tails,they are solid buggers though,my pair make my hosmerskinks look tiny
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:47 pm

03052011763.jpg

old pic of my pr fooling around before brumation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 am

Those babies look large, are they a pretty good weight when they are born? I always thought they only had a couple of youngsters per litter, but Kim, are those all from the same mother? :shock: The mother must be carrying quite a weight around before birthing.

Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 am

She was huge before giving birth. It's gotta hurt inside the mother with all those spiky tails.

Kim
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 am

whilst watching over 3prs of northerns this arvo i finally saw the gidgee pr fool around,was rather comical and different to usual

normally the male that i have seen just harrases the female,but the bigger female got the male going today,she went up to hom basking and gently nipped his lower quarters and tail base,he got annoyey and tail wriggled then climbed down under stack of wood and slate,he came out a couple of minutes later at groind level so she went down,stopped a foot in front of him and then he moved over to her in a jerky manner,checked her neck and vent area out,she raised her tail and he started climbing all over her,then grabbing at her but at same time using his rear legs to arouse him self,unfortunatly fone died taking pics of the northerns so will keep an eye out tomoz
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am

Richard.C wrote:whilst watching over 3prs of northerns this arvo i finally saw the gidgee pr fool around,was rather comical and different to usual

normally the male that i have seen just harrases the female,but the bigger female got the male going today,she went up to hom basking and gently nipped his lower quarters and tail base,he got annoyey and tail wriggled then climbed down under stack of wood and slate,he came out a couple of minutes later at groind level so she went down,stopped a foot in front of him and then he moved over to her in a jerky manner,checked her neck and vent area out,she raised her tail and he started climbing all over her,then grabbing at her but at same time using his rear legs to arouse him self,unfortunatly fone died taking pics of the northerns so will keep an eye out tomoz

thats the gentleist copulation i have witnessed,though first proper one at right time of yeae,lol
bluetonguerocks
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby bluetonguerocks » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm

those gidgee are awesome 8)
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 am

Are there different locale variations in appearance. I once saw a picture of a black specimen taken out of Australia. The animal had white spotting. There was also a group that came into the states a few yrs ago which the importer claimed were a different color morph because they had a more orange brown appearance.

Kim
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 am

the lighter ones come from the northern territory,there is a bit of variety in them ,i dont think captivity sees alot of the variety nature has
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:19 pm

A question for u guys whom have bred gidgees

I think i recall jas saying he never saw signs of gravidity like heavy breathing like in some tiliquas,ive seen slight signs in hosmers,though very subtle,they dont appear to get much fatter though that ive noticed

My female gidgee is solid to begin with but this year seems to have gotten bigger,and ive noticed laboured breathing lately,she started shedding yesterday,rubbing up against things and eating it as she goes,has anyone noticed shedding before birthing in them

Going off july matings she should be around that time to pop,so been watching her a fair bit latelu whilst waiting on northerns to drop

Just curious if anyones picked up on any patterns with these guys
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:57 am

They usually drop for me before Xmas. Similar to Hosmers for timing. But that's for me here in SEqld, I don't give them night heat at all either, and a very warm basking area for the day.

I haven't noticed heavy breathing, but the females do get noticeably fatter, heavier.

I have gravid ones now, I have said it before , but I'll try and get some pictures.

Cheers
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks rory,she does look tankier,this pair always start mating im may before i shut them down,which has made me hesitant to shut them down incase early matings took,but never did so bit bullet this year and fully shut off heat and re woke late june and they were into it pretty quick into july

Breathing wise its barely noticable but compared to male its more laboured,but yeah very subtle so could just be normal breathing to

Looking forward to seeing pics
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18 am

Richard,

I never noticed any differences in mine...they "appeared" a bit thicker, but it was never obvious. This last year I believe she looked extra large and then she passed (at least I think it was the female, no proof either way).

Never saw any breathing or other obvious signs.

Gonna have to spend more time staring at the rest of mine to try to figure out sexes...
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:02 pm

They hide things well,with the hosmers and cunninghams i cant even tell whos had the babies when they do,which has me second guess if the breathing im seeing is laboured breathing
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:19 am

Some of my Gidgees.

Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 am

very nicely patterned ones rory

do u keep them indoors or out
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 am

Richard.C wrote:very nicely patterned ones rory

do u keep them indoors or out

Indoors.

I have tried keeping SA locale gidgees outdoors but they didn't go so well. Wet humid summers they do not like.

Return to “Other Skink Species”