size range of land mullets

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

size range of land mullets

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:41 pm

during brumation this year I was curious to the size of my land mullets so brokeout the tape measure whilst they were sluggish

2 of them including my long term male were just shy of 60cm,longtermer was 57 cm,other presumed male 59cm
the female is 66 cm,shes way longer in tail length

maybe a sexing trait,though not overly confident in that

rory do u notice much difference between the sexes in yours
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: size range of land mullets

Postby RoryBreaker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

I only have an adult pair and their whole litter from 2years ago.

I have no idea on their exact lengths , as I haven't handled them in over 2 years. They live outdoors in a pit, I try to leave them alone, they are flighty enough.

I'll post some pics later.

Cheers
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:11 pm

cheers rory

they are skittish buggers.i tend to leave mine be to,was doing a brumation check and the lass sat stillish so thought perfect oppatunity,lol
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:26 am

Got some pictures but I didn't measure them.

And what I keep mine in, 2000 litre fibreglass fish pond which I have converted.

Their 2011 litter of 5 live in there with them too, well used to. I just dug them out because I am going to flick them soon.

Cheers
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 am

Your welcome to flick them here rory,lol

I bet they love it in there,looks great,do u see any differences between the male and female to sex them reliably?

If it ever warms up here i might put mine outdoors,occi has had his outdoors in melb for a few years now so very tempting,tried with blotchy cage but a couple of blotchies picked on my big boy so stopped that
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Picked up 3 landmullet youngsters from airport last night,mt glorious locales from rory,popped them in outdoor pit to see how they go,big female checked them out pretty quick,all good,though one young bluemountains alpine had a nip at ones head,but went om its way again,so keeping a close eye on them

20131218_112208-1.jpg
20131218_112721-1.jpg
20131218_112736-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 pm

You'd better hide them if I get to Australia. You guys are driving me crazy posting these pictures of my favorite species (of which I can't get) of skinks.

KL
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK

Postby mark_w » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:05 am

kl wrote:You'd better hide them if I get to Australia. You guys are driving me crazy posting these pictures of my favorite species (of which I can't get) of skinks.

KL

Kim I hear you!!! These look amazing Rich. Kind of like a smooth scaled cunningham's, maybe a bit bigger. Really nice looking but almost completely unavailable in Europe....

Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Mark, at least 4 to 6 of them were born in Europe in 2012. I was offered 2 of them for trade against a couple blotched but the seller did not wait for me to finalize the arrangements of getting my animals to Hamm. Here are the pictures of them. I'm an idiot for not making sure I got them. They are now owned by another person in Europe.

KL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK

Postby mark_w » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

kl wrote:Mark, at least 4 to 6 of them were born in Europe in 2012. I was offered 2 of them for trade against a couple blotched but the seller did not wait for me to finalize the arrangements of getting my animals to Hamm. Here are the pictures of them. I'm an idiot for not making sure I got them. They are now owned by another person in Europe.

KL

Kim that is good news. Not that you didn't get them, but that they have been bred recently in Europe. How come you find this stuff out from 1000s of miles away? :lol:

Mark.
jasjmm27
Live Bearing Lizards
Live Bearing Lizards

Postby jasjmm27 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:24 pm

I love me them Mullets! Maybe I will just grow one of my own to make up for it... :) If Kim can't get them, no one can!
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:58 pm

mark_w wrote:
kl wrote:You'd better hide them if I get to Australia. You guys are driving me crazy posting these pictures of my favorite species (of which I can't get) of skinks.

KL

Kim I hear you!!! These look amazing Rich. Kind of like a smooth scaled cunningham's, maybe a bit bigger. Really nice looking but almost completely unavailable in Europe....

Mark.

Size wise they leave cunninghams for dead,on par with large northerns,often quoted to grow to 60 cm,the big one in pics was 66 cm,but lost tip of tail,looking at scuffing on her back she may have been covered this year,theres a fair bit of scuffing in tail as well,quite solid as adults to
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Heres one basking with 2 of my biggest easterns
20131215_152549-1.jpg
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Note scuff marks on back
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby kl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Mark, I do more investigating on these types of things than you can believe when I'm bored cause my wife likes to watch TV shows that I hate so instead of TV I'm on the computer. I've been researching Land Mullets since about 2002. They are my favorite species of lizard, even more than Blotched. It was my goal to try and get this species established in the states when I first got them in 2005. One of my females died in 2012. My remaining female is not looking in the best of health as she has developed cataracts. I'm trying to bring others here but so far no success. Researching this stuff is one thing. Trying to close the deals to get them is another of which I do not seem to be that good at, especially on these expensive species since my reptile spending budget is kept to a minimum by my reptile hating wife.

KL
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:30 pm

kl wrote:Mark, I do more investigating on these types of things than you can believe when I'm bored cause my wife likes to watch TV shows that I hate so instead of TV I'm on the computer. I've been researching Land Mullets since about 2002. They are my favorite species of lizard, even more than Blotched. It was my goal to try and get this species established in the states when I first got them in 2005. One of my females died in 2012. My remaining female is not looking in the best of health as she has developed cataracts. I'm trying to bring others here but so far no success. Researching this stuff is one thing. Trying to close the deals to get them is another of which I do not seem to be that good at, especially on these expensive species since my reptile spending budget is kept to a minimum by my reptile hating wife.

KL

I don’t remember writing this post, but it sure describes my life accurately, and sounds like my words!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Haha,they just dont get it do they
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK

Postby mark_w » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:09 am

This obviously applies to all of us. We'll have to start a "geeky reptile loving blokes with uninterested wives" subforum.

Rich I am gobsmacked by the size of these :shock: They are mahoosive!!! Really impressive animals...

I like your outdoor enclosure too.

Mark.
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby RoryBreaker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Two of my friends in SEQld last weekend both had their mullets give birth. Both of them kept their mullets in outdoor enclosures.

One had a litter size of 6 , the other guy saw at least 5 newborns ( he still hasn't pulled the cage apart yet).

Cheers
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm

It’s not nice to rub it in Rory. :kick:

Kim, what would you expect to pay for a mullet if you find any available again?
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#

Return to “Other Skink Species”