Eye stuck closed--- Help!

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Katydid11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Eye stuck closed--- Help!

Postby Katydid11 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am

My rescued Northern has some chronic eye issues which are likely due to allergies. He does best in a dust free environment and seems to only be comfortable with a tank of blankets. Even loose "dust free" bedding doesn't work. If he is exposed to dust/loose bedding etc, his eyes immediately start to seal shut. Either because of these allergies or because it is difficult to keep a blanket tank humid (and not moldy), he often has shed that forms over his eyes. About twice a month, his eyes become sealed shut and he needs to have the loose scales carefully and gently massaged off his eye area. If I don't remove them, his eyes remain shut. Once opened, his eyes are completely fine. I have taken him to the vet before who saw no signs of infection. No discharge, irritation or other things of concern... I don't really understand why his eye area sheds more than the rest of him.... The vet at Cornell didn't really have an explanation for that either.

Last week...well, almost two weeks ago now, when I did the regular routine to get his eyes open, I removed the shed from both eyes but still couldn't get one eye to open. The lids seem to be stuck together. Per my vet, I have been applying warm compresses and massaging the area with antibiotic eye ointment daily with very little improvement. I have an appointment for him to go in for 2 appointments, 1 exotics and 1 opthalmology at Cornell on Monday, which is the soonest they can have both exams, which is the most effective way to do it (the exotics doctors don't deal with significant eye issues and the opthalmologists don't usually deal with reptiles). It is likely that he will need to be sedated for treatment, which carries additional risks.

I am making additional efforts to increase the moisture in his tank and have started soaking him twice daily in addition to the compresses & antibiotic ointment....Does anyone else have additional suggestions, experience or advice? He is great otherwise; eating, drinking, basking and seems to be compensating with his good eye to get around. I wish they could see him sooner, but it seems like they really can't. If he goes in as an emergency they can hospitalize him but would likely just give him the supportive care that I am already giving, until they can get an opthalmologist to look at him on Monday. :helpme:
• 1.0 Eastern- "Sasujee"
• 0.1 Northern
• 2.3 Dogs- Mixed breed variety pack- "Francie", "Mooshu", "Charlie", "Mogwai", "Clover"
• 1.0 Cat- "Sally"
• 7.0 foster rats
• 4.6 Birmingham Roller Pigeons
• 21.4 Chickens
Katydid11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Eye stuck closed--- Help!

Postby Katydid11 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:35 am

I have also looked at the post here from Kbell31 and the recommendations given. My skink does not have any of the crust/inflammation/signs of infections exhibited by that skink.
• 1.0 Eastern- "Sasujee"
• 0.1 Northern
• 2.3 Dogs- Mixed breed variety pack- "Francie", "Mooshu", "Charlie", "Mogwai", "Clover"
• 1.0 Cat- "Sally"
• 7.0 foster rats
• 21.4 Chickens
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 am

Could we see some pictures? Is the skink in your avatar picture your Eastern? Just asking to make sure he is not the one with eye problems.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Katydid11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Katydid11 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:03 pm

I will see if I can get a picture. It is a little tricky since he is still so active and aggressive!!

No, the avatar is Sasujee, my Eastern. She is perfect in just about every way!! :edward:
• 1.0 Eastern- "Sasujee"
• 0.1 Northern
• 1.0 Cat- "Sally"
• 7.0 foster rats
• 21.4 Chickens

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”