Vision cages
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Vision cages
I am looking at the Vision cages for upgrading my tanks, the one I am looking at is http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/vis ... sion-cage/ size is 48" X 28" X 18" Does anyone have these. How do you install lights? Also it states they are not stack-able with a heat light? This makes no sense to me, why would you have a tank without a heat lamp, reptiles need the heat?
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Vision cages
if you look at the extra vent area, there is a line on top of it for the heat lamp cord to go through, even if theres another tank on top of it 
at least thats what it looks like to me...
at least thats what it looks like to me...
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Vision cages
HurricaneJen only uses Vision Cages.
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Vision cages
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:HurricaneJen only uses Vision Cages.
Thanks I sent her a PM.
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Vision cages
A lot of those enclosures are built to house snakes which don't necessarily require a light cycle. You heat them using UTH's or heat cable/tape.
Cay T.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Vision cages
Coomassie wrote:A lot of those enclosures are built to house snakes which don't necessarily require a light cycle. You heat them using UTH's or heat cable/tape.
That thing to the top left is where the light goes.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Vision cages
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Coomassie wrote:A lot of those enclosures are built to house snakes which don't necessarily require a light cycle. You heat them using UTH's or heat cable/tape.
That thing to the top left is where the light goes.
She was making a general statement about comnercially made reptile cages. No need to try and "correct" her when she was already correct
Brad
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Vision cages
I'm curious where you saw that you can't stack them if you use heat lamps? They are made to be used that way. I have used visions in the past and love them. If I could afford to buy 50 of them, that's probably the way I would go. The only negative to them in my opinion is the price, and I am NOT suggesting that they are over-priced, just that it is cost prohibitive if you need a large number of them.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Vision cages
Practically all of the cages here are Vision:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LLLReptile1
http://www.youtube.com/user/LLLReptile1
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Vision cages
Jeff wrote:I'm curious where you saw that you can't stack them if you use heat lamps? They are made to be used that way. I have used visions in the past and love them. If I could afford to buy 50 of them, that's probably the way I would go. The only negative to them in my opinion is the price, and I am NOT suggesting that they are over-priced, just that it is cost prohibitive if you need a large number of them.
I went back to the website, and I can't find anything about not stack -able either
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Vision cages
Here's a list of cages you can buy:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23238
A cage that size normally costs two hundred dollars.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23238
A cage that size normally costs two hundred dollars.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Vision cages
200 odd isnt bad,over here that size are closer to the 1000 dollar range,different brands though and to costly for my liking,in my climate im not an overly huge fan of them,they take to much to warm in colder weather and seem to get very hot in warmer weather,dont insulate well,if i had better control of ambient temps they would be better ,but i find melamine safer in my uninsulated tin shed
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Vision cages
To explain more what im dribbling on about,these cages are designed for ideal conditions,climate controlled rooms or rooms that overly fluctuate,consistent temps,often providing for one small wattage bulb to provide the basking spot,even the 6 foot long models,some offer more though,ive had to custom fit light holders in mine as they arent designed to handle the wattage bulbs i need through light holder area,when i used what it was designed for that it was woeful,couldnt even raise basking temp enough with elevated basking spot,let alone affect back ground temp
My temps fluctuate big time,room temp can drop as low as 6 and get into the 40S in hot weather,so zero consistancy,the plastic gets very hot when room temps up,even with zero heating on,absorbs heat as its poorly insulated and i have to move lizards elsewhere during hot spells,i dont have that issue with wood cages or fairly open aquariums
Thats just my conditions though,which these cages arent designed for
My temps fluctuate big time,room temp can drop as low as 6 and get into the 40S in hot weather,so zero consistancy,the plastic gets very hot when room temps up,even with zero heating on,absorbs heat as its poorly insulated and i have to move lizards elsewhere during hot spells,i dont have that issue with wood cages or fairly open aquariums
Thats just my conditions though,which these cages arent designed for
-
Chris.J
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 64
- Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Vision cages
I am interested in your decision, as I am thinking about getting one as well
Please keep us Posted.
I know LLL Reptile also sells them as packages so you can get the mini ceramic lamp, 100 watt heat bulb, 20" fluorescent fixture and bedding with it.
I still haven't decided to get the 72 inch or 48 inch.
I know LLL Reptile also sells them as packages so you can get the mini ceramic lamp, 100 watt heat bulb, 20" fluorescent fixture and bedding with it.
I still haven't decided to get the 72 inch or 48 inch.
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Vision cages
I have Eight of these. Mine are all stacked with heat lamps and ive never had any issues at all. I love these things. I would keep all of my Skinks in them if they weren't so costly.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Vision cages
Valley Reptiles wrote:I have Eight of these. Mine are all stacked with heat lamps and ive never had any issues at all. I love these things. I would keep all of my Skinks in them if they weren't so costly.
How did you add the UVB light, if you have them?
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Vision cages
Anyone who uses these is there a stand you would recommend, I don't want to put any of them directly on the floor. It is too hard to get to the bottom 1, and I have cats, that will sit there and scare the BTS.
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Vision cages
All of mine have the optional center vent which fits an 18 inch florescent fixture perfectly. I don't use a stand, but I really wish I did. The bottom cages are a pain to get down to, I'm 6'8 so its a loong way down for me. Also if one of the skinks in the bottom enclosures decides to hide at the back of the cage when I need to get it out, I have to lay down on the floor to reach back there. Its a pain
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Vision cages
Just ordered the 48" X 28" X 18 vision cage. So excited to get this. Calypso gets the 1st one, she sure deserves the first upgrade after that birth experience! I hope to order a second by the end of the summer. Then 2 next year. I will post pictures when I get it all set up.
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Vision cages
StaceyLeigh wrote:Just ordered the 48" X 28" X 18 vision cage. So excited to get this. Calypso gets the 1st one, she sure deserves the first upgrade after that birth experience! I hope to order a second by the end of the summer. Then 2 next year. I will post pictures when I get it all set up.
I want to see pictures when you get her all set up!
Cay T.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 235 guests
