Meraukes!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Meraukes!
I am quite fond of meraukes, but the Australian species are must have animals for me. I was trying to get my hands on a pair of easterns when I finally gave into temptation and decided on taking two of her meraukes. After she was nice enough to answer my seven billion questions, and sent probably 50 more pictures, I thought.. why buy two awesome meraukes when I can take five instead?? Lol so that's how it happened
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Meraukes!
I wish you luck with the breeding..
Hopefully, I can get some babies this coming season.. 
Hopefully, I can get some babies this coming season.. "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Meraukes!
Thank you. 
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Meraukes!
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Jealous?
Im grateful with what i get to keep already though
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Meraukes!
But I'll tell you what, rarely do you meet someone as competent and trustworthy as Austin and his wife; they are the ones who made it so easy to be nice and helpful.
After messaging back and forth about him wanting the three I had for sale, I felt something I NEVER thought possible; I felt totally comfortable offering to sell him my sick little guy #2 (I honestly felt he would be even better cared for there than with me!), and not only that but I felt strongly about offering to sell him Jazz too!!! Jazzy is my special buddy, but since she's the least "classic" out of all my Meraukes, I had no plans to breed her. And with room in high demand in the house, it felt right for the first time to think about selling her.
So early today I packed up 5 skinks and headed to the airport. And, before the day was over, I had 6 new ones!
And I could not be happier with the new home I found for my skinks!
(Are we mushy enough for y'all?!
There's just enough happy here that we thought we'd share!)Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Meraukes!
Its like im stuck in pleasantville,except no ones said neato yet
Neato,sounds like its worked out great all round
6 again susann,merauke ground hog day,lol
Was that about 7 months gestation gap again
Neato,sounds like its worked out great all round
6 again susann,merauke ground hog day,lol
Was that about 7 months gestation gap again
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Meraukes!
Richard.C wrote:Was that about 7 months gestation gap again
YES! Well, almost, it was 6 1/2 months this time.
Xyla didn't mate in Nov this time, that's why I thought I'd just try sexing Maddie back then, and WHAM-O!
But Xyla did mate in Feb. I figured it'll be interesting to see, IF she's gravid, when she has the bubs. Because if she still gives birth around the same time, then I think it might be irrefutable argument for sperm storage--at least about 2 1/2 - 3 month's worth. Right? Twice I've bred in Nov, and twice delivery was 6 1/2 - 7 months later, and if the same female breeds 3 months later but still has the babies around the same time. IF she has babies around the same time ...or at all.
It'll be fun to see.
Hey, after the second baby was born, she passed a large, yellow, "jelly" ball (slightly larger than an egg yolk). Was that an unfertilized ova, or a "slug"? Or is there a difference?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Meraukes!
Yep susann,id say that was a slug
And sounds like with in season sperm storage to,very interesting,and worth thinking about for others trying to unravel there secrets
Babies seem spot on timing wise for dry season droppers,though 6.5 to 7 months gestation reaks of late wetseason maters,be interesting to see if xyla drops to then
Do you know the exact dates you saw matings,i wonder if there window may extend with cooling in the middle
Gigas seem to mate all over the place but not many have babies,so its good to look at what little success there is and see if theres any patterns worth noting
Not tiliqua related but for some reason my gidgee skinks only want to mate in the lead up to brumation,right now,lol,which is odd for a temperate species,no babies from them,i get worried ill brumate and she may be gravid,this year though there getting shut right down though
Fingers crossed on xyla
And sounds like with in season sperm storage to,very interesting,and worth thinking about for others trying to unravel there secrets
Babies seem spot on timing wise for dry season droppers,though 6.5 to 7 months gestation reaks of late wetseason maters,be interesting to see if xyla drops to then
Do you know the exact dates you saw matings,i wonder if there window may extend with cooling in the middle
Gigas seem to mate all over the place but not many have babies,so its good to look at what little success there is and see if theres any patterns worth noting
Not tiliqua related but for some reason my gidgee skinks only want to mate in the lead up to brumation,right now,lol,which is odd for a temperate species,no babies from them,i get worried ill brumate and she may be gravid,this year though there getting shut right down though
Fingers crossed on xyla
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: Meraukes!
Scotts1au wrote:Too much typing, not enough photos
Hahahahhaha i agree less typy more pictures
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Meraukes!
I'm sorry Valley Reptiles, I didn't realize I was I your thread! My previous post should have gone in my own thread.......
Hey, those are some good looking Meraukes you've got there!
Must be from one heck of a breeder

Hey, those are some good looking Meraukes you've got there!
Must be from one heck of a breeder
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Meraukes!
Haha no worries Mrs Thread thief! Lol and yeah the new meraukes are pretty stunning. Almost worth flying to Utah to hug the breeder. Wish I could remember who that lady was who sold em to me...
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 251 guests
