Completely New!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
TrevorM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver

Completely New!

Postby TrevorM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:34 am

Hello all! I live in Vancouver, Canada and I'm hoping to look after and raise a BTS. I have ALWAYS wanted a lizard of some sort and never gave much thought as to which specific breed or type of lizard I wished to own. This is partly because my family and I, up until January this year had a rottweiler and because I simply knew I wasn't mature to look after an animal in past years. Unfortunately, our rotty passed away due to cancer in her shoulders, though at the same time, I am graduating from high school at the end of this May. With this in mind, I feel that I am mature and prepared to take on the responsibilities and commitment required to care for a BTS. I have read the caresheet provided on the main site, and it was super-helpful and informative. To avoid confusion, I don't believe that by researching the topic of BTS's on the internet for a number of weeks by far makes me a pro, I will probably not purchase a BTS (if the opportunity arrives) until I have carefully set up the territarium and completed my upcoming exams.

Anyways, what I've come to ask is if it is particularly difficult to obtain a young BTS in Vancouver. I've looked through classified articles both on this site and many others (kijiji, Canadianlisted), and have stumbled upon perhaps three or four listings of adult BTS's at the most. Are there perhaps preferred sites that Canadian BTS owners use or is it simply because I'm too far West?

Thanks, any input is appreciated!

Trevor
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Completely New!

Postby Linnea » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 am

welcome!

Theres lots of canadian bts owners, and breeders, who are very reputable and produce striking animals :D (and they are also very active on this forum)

theyll get back to you with more info shortly, im sure.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Completely New!

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:56 am

Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't necessarily say there are a LOT of breeders in Canada, but you certainly won't have trouble finding a high quality skink. Wait for Fatal_S to respond. She should have babies available this summer, as well as the list of other people breeding them in Canada. You probably won't find one in the immediate area you live in, but shipping within Canada is no problem.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: Completely New!

Postby UroFreak13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 am

Welcome to this awsome world haha, there are quite a few canadian breeders on this site alone, fatal_s for one, i believe she shipps there but im not 100%sure bust to ask otherwise like you said kijiji and what not, also i think the reptile is coming there soo or has just Passed, another goo place to pick one up
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Completely New!

Postby Susann » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:58 am

WELCOME to the best forum on earth!
Man do we wish all (potential) BTS owners were like you! I am SO impressed!

So sorry for your recent loss :( Unfortunately, I've "been there, done that". But it's not like you can't have dogs and BTS together in the same household, you know that, and you sound PLENTY responsible to be able to handle it. Even if your Rotty was a "hunter". Trust me, we've been a foster home for huskies with the perfect knowledge that if a BTS got loose it would take two tenths of a second, flat, for it to be the end of it. You just have to make sure you have dependable caging, and that everyone in your household knows, and appreciates the danger.
Just saying, in case your family ever gets another dog, you can still have a BTS. :wink:

And I am so bummed you live in that stupid :roll: country up there, where it's impossible to ship animals :wink: . I would LOVE for you to be the owner of any one of my baby/juvenile Meraukes!
Well, *sigh* if you ever move down here... :thumbs:

Love that you've found your way here though. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
TrevorM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:12 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver

Re: Completely New!

Postby TrevorM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks everybody for the kind words, I'm super excited :)
Laurenk
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Completely New!

Postby Laurenk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Welcome fellow Canadian! And Susann, ouch! *goes off on rant about how great Canada is* :lol:
Lauren

Proud owner of: 1.0.0. Normal Corn Snake (Snickers)
0.1.0. Merauke (Cocoa)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 208 guests