Specific questions about birthing

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Specific questions about birthing

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm

According to the "Bluey Bible" gestation period for Northerns is 3-4 month, so is anything 90 day on up considered full term? Also do most go into labor during day hours once they have warmed up? Calypso has gone off food, and is increasingly breathing heavier, so I am thinking just a few days or so?
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Re: Specific questions about birthing

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 pm

The problem is, when to start counting. Is it from first copulation, last copulation, ovulation, etc? If you start counting from the first copulation. I would expect the babies to be born 110-125 days later. The heavy breathing varies a ton. It is a good sign, but not much of an indicator of "when". Every female is different. Just be ready, and wait for it to happen. Whenever it does it will be a very exciting day.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Heavy breathing can occur for a considerable period before birth, in my experience, up to a month.

As Richard has stated on a number of occassions, quite often female will shed a week or so before giving birth although can be a couple of weeks before.

I think you will find that anything from 100 to 120 days, median around 110, could be considered normal range and probably depends on a range of variables, some of which will be genetic, dietary etc.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:45 pm

any time now,could still be a month or so though,the going off foods a good sign though,its the pitts waiting to see isnt it,lol,but when they are ready they will do what they do,they dont need any special treatment,exept fattening up after birthing,which northerns seem to do quite fast,shouldnt be to long now,probably when u start to wonder if shes actually going to drop,mine usually drop early arvo ,but only the ones ive managed to catch dropping,lol
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Funny you say that mine normally drop in the afternoon too, usually on a hot day.
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Richard.C wrote:any time now,could still be a month or so though,the going off foods a good sign though,its the pitts waiting to see isnt it,lol,but when they are ready they will do what they do,they dont need any special treatment,exept fattening up after birthing,which northerns seem to do quite fast,shouldnt be to long now,probably when u start to wonder if shes actually going to drop,mine usually drop early arvo ,but only the ones ive managed to catch dropping,lol

Yes the waiting is hard. I guess more than anything I worry about her, she seems uncomfortable and really isn't moving around a lot except to change positions on her basking rock. She pretty much stays on the basking rock 24/7.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 pm

lots of basking is a good sign

scott yep,they seem to wait on a day thats warmer than that weeks average,though when mine are late that day may be only 25 degrees,lol,but usually a 30 plus degree day,the water dragons hang out for a hotter than recent average day to to lay there eggs
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Still interested in an EWD just wish I could get them off licence aaargh.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”